Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
acme
MVP

Onyx: Volume needs to be repaired

Running onyx for sno leopard, get this warning:

The volume needs to be repaired.

to repair your startup disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility... [ OK ]

So, I did this method of repair, twice..2nd time nothing needed repairing. Also did the repair using disk utility on the boot volume itself..

Onyx still says my volume needs repairing.

I have no idea what this is telling me now...whether something IS in need of repair or not, and if/no what to do next.

thanks for any clues!

a
acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
gsahli
MVP

You can't repair the current booted hard drive using the Disk Utility on that booted drive - so what you've said above doesn't add up. Please clarify for us.
Repairing the drive Doesn't mean the same as repairing permissions - don't include that in this discussion, and that'll help, too.
gsahli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli
You can't repair the current booted hard drive using the Disk Utility on that booted drive - so what you've said above doesn't add up. Please clarify for us.
Repairing the drive Doesn't mean the same as repairing permissions - don't include that in this discussion, and that'll help, too.

acme indicates s/he followed the instructions to boot from the OS X installer disc and from it repair the volume from within Disk Utility.

I would suggest installing and running AppleJack. I'm not 100% certain if it's much different than Disk Utility when booted from an OS X disc, but it's small, easy, free and has helped me in times of similar crisis. Worth a try. If that doesn't help, you may need to try a more robust utility, like Disc Warrior. Alternatively, rather than spend the money for that, it might be easier to simply clone the drive to another drive, test that the clone is working, then erase your normal boot volume followed by restoring your clone to the just-erased volume.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
acme
MVP

I booted using the Snow Leopard disc, and selected repair (NOT repair permissions).

a
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
appleman_design
Hall of Famer

i use applejack on a monthly basis…good stuff manard.
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme
Onyx still says my volume needs repairing.

It's not clear to me WHICH of your volumes needs to be repaired.

Although it's certainly possible that your startup volume needs to be repaired and Disk Utility > Repair Disk cannot fix it, what is not possible (at least not as far as I know) for Onyx to detect anything beyond what Disk Utility > Repair Disk can. So if Repair Disk says the startup volume is OK, Onyx would also think that the startup volume is OK, whether it is or not.

However, if I remember correctly, you have a Mac Pro with multiple hard drives. From your query, it is NOT clear which volume Onyx is reporting the need for repair. Can you be much much more explicit?

Right now, my theory is just that one of your other volumes, not the startup drive, needs repair, and you can do that easily while booted normally from your startup drive, run Disk Utility > select the hard drive needing repair > First Aid tab > Click Repair Disk (not Repair Disk Permissions).

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
acme
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
It's not clear to me WHICH of your volumes needs to be repaired.…However, if I remember correctly, you have a Mac Pro with multiple hard drives. From your query, it is NOT clear which volume Onyx is reporting the need for repair. Can you be much much more explicit?

In fact, I can not...all I have is the warning Onyx threw out, which was:

"The volume needs to be repaired.

to repair your startup disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility... [ OK ]"

Now, I share your feeling that this is ambiguous. It's annoying and maddeningly unclear precisely WHICH drive is being talked about. "the volume" may or may not be the same as "startup disk."

Unfortunately, Onyx doesn't seem to be able to deliver a clarifying level of specificity here, but I can easily try your suggestion to repair the other drives.

Yes, you are right..I do have a mac pro with 3 internals: 1 that came with the machine, and a couple of hitachi jupiters which I bought and installed myself.

thank you!

acme
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
acme
MVP

Following up here...I just ran "Repair Disk" on both of the other internal drives here and both cam up as "OK"

I have no idea how conclusive all of this is...

a
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Solution: remove OnyX from your computer.

[seriously, ask the dev why his app is so quirky]

chown -R us /your\ base/

-HI-

Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
hayne
Site Admin

We may not have all the information here, but I'm leaning toward the conclusion that Onyx is misreporting something.
Maybe just disregard Onyx for the time being.
And contact the Onyx developer for help.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
trevor

Well, assuming that everything is working properly, you can ignore the warning. OR, you could buy DiskWarrior, which is a good investment anyway, and run it on all of your drives on the off chance that Onyx might be right.

Trevor
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
acme
MVP

Alright...but a question about DiskWarrior....

I did buy it years back when I was using PPC macs, and I never saw any tools in it which could take action...I saw reporting/diagnostic tools, but times I had issues and used DW, I don't recall it ever offering a tool which could then fix the problem...

has this changed?

a
Old 05-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Disk Warrior will scan your hard drive, and provide a report at the conclusion of the scan. DW's major function is to rebuild the directory, hence repairing the drive (directory), and give you the opportunity to replace the existing directory, or leave it as is. It will also report specific types of problems with files, included those files that may be corrupted in some way. I have used Disk Warrior since about version 2, I think, and the basic function (to rebuild the directory) has always been there, and is (I suppose) the tool that you are asking about.
DW won't repair everything, but is one of the best tools for a Mac toolbox.... The last time I let DW run the deep "scavenge" rebuild, and it successfully got an old hard drive working (to recover some old music files), but took nearly 3 days to finish.
Seemed to be taking some kind of action, eh?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
trevor

DiskWarrior always had the tools to take action and repair filesystem damage, that is its reason to exist.

In the image above, note the "Rebuild" button--that rebuilds your file system.

What version did you own for PPC Macs? If it is 4.x, then you can probably just get a new disc with the updated 4.3 version on it for a nominal fee. If it's 3.x, then you can get the cheaper upgrade price.

Trevor
Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #15
ricede
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
The last time I let DW run the deep "scavenge" rebuild, and it successfully got an old hard drive working (to recover some old music files), but took nearly 3 days to finish.

ive been using DW for years but have never heard of a deep "scavenge" rebuild before ? can you clarify please. ( i hope this is not a completely stupid question (-: )
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

With DW open, hold your Option key, and the Rebuild button in Disk Warrior will give other choices. One will be Scavenge.

Last edited by DeltaMac; 05-06-2011 at 06:16 AM.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
ricede
All Star

thanks - i didn't know that.
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: