Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPad Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
benwiggy
League Commissioner

iPad as only computer?

is often said that the iPad is "enough" of a computer for most people. (Most people only use internet, email; watch/listen to video/audio; play games; type up the odd document.)

It's also said that the iPad is ideal for grandparents, etc, who aren't technologically literate but want to use a computing device.

My question is: Don't you need to have plumbed in to another computer for it to work? Or could you have an iPad as your ONLY computing device? Because if you can't, then that's a bit of a flaw, IMHO.

Thoughts?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
fracai
MVP

The iPad *should* be "enough" of a computer for most people, but right now it still needs a "full" computer to be functional and stay up to date. Hopefully this changes sooner than later.

See also: Daring Fireball: Cutting That Cord

That said, I think you could have an iPad as your only computer right now. Activate it at the Apple Store. Get all your media from Podcasts and the iTunes Store. And then let the OS go out of date.
fracai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
cpragman
All Star

iPad, iPhone, and MacBook air (to a lesser extent) are all dependent on having another computer. This is how they get updates, backups, and large quantities of media (music, videos) installed on them.

If you are the computer geek of the family, and see the grandparents often enough, perhaps you can sync and update their iPad to your computer occasionally, and that might be sufficient.

I have a friend who is mildly retarded, and has no use for a computer (can't afford one either). I keep his iPod up to date every few months.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
simonlim
Triple-A Player

It will need more advancement in technology and then we will have tablet PCs as stronger as the Notebooks or Desktops PCs
Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Surely, all that is needed is an ability to backup/restore/update the device.

Could this be where Apple is going with the iCloud?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
simonlim
Triple-A Player

Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinBKK
Could this be where Apple is going with the iCloud?

To some extent YES
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
nodttiurp

iOS 5 to free from computer

My question is: Don't you need to have plumbed in to another computer for it to work? Or could you have an iPad as your ONLY computing device? Because if you can't, then that's a bit of a flaw, IMHO.

APPle says: With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Activate and set up your device wirelessly, right out of the box. Download free iOS software updates directly on your device. Do more with your apps like editing your photos or adding new email folders on your device, without the need for a Mac or PC. And back up and restore your device automatically using Cloud
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Jane55
Triple-A Player

Just as said, yeah, if only need to use internet, email; watch/listen to video/audio; play games; type up the odd document, the the iPad is enough for most people, but I think there are still need the full computer to be functional, such as I working on financial management, and need to work on a financial system, but the iPad can load such a big system!
Well, it all depends on the needs as said in ifunia, if only for consuming, and simple office work, the iPad can be used as the only computer!
Jane55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
docno
Triple-A Player

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodttiurp

Apple is pretty serious about making the iPad be able to stand alone - I just saw a screen shot for iOS 5 that shows they have integrated the AirPort setup utility into the iPad. You literally can go from no computer to getting an iPad and Airport router, order Internet and do everything you need to do from just the iPad.

Amazing really, when you think about it. iOS 5 is going to rock quite a few people's world once the word gets out. It's all the computer the vast majority of people want - my dad is convinced, it's his sole computer and he loves it!

And Jane55 if your financial system has a web interface the iPad is all you need. You should see the places deploying iPads as the sole device to their sales people through online applications like salesforce.com I got my first work-issued Mac solely because of the influence of the iPhone and iPad. It's a wonderful thing!
docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

I just had a few days away, with only an iPad.

It still has too many limitations, like Searching in Mail, editing a mail message for forwarding and it's handling of attachments is clunky and long winded. My example would be an attachment comes in and I want to forward it, but the recipient shouldn't/doesn't need to see the text of the original message. The only practical way is to save to Dropbox/similar, then attach it to a new mail.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
tbrant
Prospect

I have an iPad 2. It is not my primary computer. However, I DO use it as a standalone computer for school. I am a computer engineering student and I write code (with a wireless keyboard), make school presentations, work with excel (numbers) and pull up power points all the time. icloud has helped tremendously in this endeavor. I currently link all my files to both my iphone 4s and the ipad with no issues. Updating can also be done wirelessly now without connecting to a computer. In fact I have never "plumbed" it in to a computer.

(This being said there are always frustrations. This is mainly an Apple thing anyways but the customization aspect is always annoying. I find my biggest disappoint is the ability to transfer information around an ipad. Example: wanting a file you found on the internet to be sent to a PDF reader, edited and then copied into a email. (These things can sometimes be creatively overcome.))
tbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
jakeferren

I agree! I have noticed that many of the articles bashing the iPad are written by people who don't even own one! I do own an iPad and I rarely use my laptop anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Well, it's getting there. The Mail-search issue that I mentioned a year ago is still not resolved, although I have had an explanation of why it is so dire.

It is a system issue too, as both Ibis and Sparrow suffer precisely the same inability to find anything.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #14
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

What problem are you having? My iPod (5.0.1) doesn't have any issues searching for mail messages.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
What problem are you having? My iPod (5.0.1) doesn't have any issues searching for mail messages.

Can you search for text within a message? GavinBKK had another thread about this, and I see the same issues. I just tested now. My iPhone 4 is running iOS 5.1. I pulled up Mail, glanced the preview of the first message in the inbox, then did a search for a word in that message. I get no search results. The same thing happens when I repeat the search on an iPad running the same iOS version. On my devices, search does not find any content in the body of messages, only if my search term is in the From, To, or Subject field.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #16
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

You're right - it doesn't search the contents. Guess I've always been satisfied with the result of a subject search.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
NaOH
Hall of Famer

It's not a big deal for me since I rarely (ever?) search mail on a mobile device, but Apple lists it as a feature of iOS 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
If you’re looking for a specific email, you can now search in the body of messages.

It just occurred to me that this might be one of those features that works better with Apple products. So I moved a message from my standard email account to the inbox of an iCloud account. No difference.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

No, it's crap. If you need it - and I do. Big time. At ths time, it is the only thing stopping me using the iPad exclusively on a trip. Totally subjective, but, as said, that's my issue.

MBA rules.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
jsalmi
Major Leaguer

The iPad is a good device, but in my case it could never take the place of a 'real' computer.
jsalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
mrjones19
Prospect

Yea, the iPad actually loads websites / email / PDF / word / excel much much faster than my laptop, so no complaints there. I know because I just bought it.
mrjones19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: