Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
aubreyapple
All Star

How do you re-sync Imap

I am having a problem on multiple platforms, including Mail.app where a mail attachment is being truncated on my local system but the full attachment exists on the server. I want to force mail to re-sync with the server to get the full attachment. I know the attachment is on the server because I can see it on Web Mail and I can forward from web mail and get the full attachment. I know it seems silly since I can get what I need but would rather just tell Mail.app that that message is invalid and re-download it but I cannot figure out how.

Note that this also occurs (on different messages) with Thunderbird on Linux, so the real problem here is Godaddy IMAP, IMHO, but they refuse to acknowledge it. I have never seen this on my dot mac nor my work e-mail. Nevertheless there must be a way to simply re-sync this.
aubreyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
tw
Hall of Famer

open Mail.app help (command-? when Mail is frontmost), click the Solving Problems link, and then the link for If messages canít be displayed or are incomplete or garbled. It gives a few suggestions, like rebuilding or reindexing the mailboxes.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
aubreyapple
All Star

I had tried everything there except the re-index procedure. I tried that. Everything did, indeed re-download. Unfortunately, the mail is still truncated. Very strange, but I have come to expect 'very strange' from godaddy.. :-(

Interesting in that for this particular mail. Thunderbird was happy with it but on two different Macs, Mail truncates it (now twice on one computer). On another mail, Thunderbird truncated but Mail.app did not.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
tw
Hall of Famer

That's gotta be some connection timeout on GoDaddy's end. try it at a low server usage time (dead of night Sunday is usually best). It is weird, though, that Mail doesn't have an option for re-downloading messages. I take it you've also tried the "synchronize" options you can find under the Mailbox menu?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
aubreyapple
All Star

I frankly think it is a bug on how the mail is formatted by the server or in the way the imap server tells the client the mail length. Content-length is unspecified but it rarely is these days. If I display raw source on the message, it looks the same on both Macs with the attachment clearly truncated. It is missing only about 800 characters out of 60k...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: