Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Jon8RFC

How to? Remove or delete saved mapped drive user credentials (10.5.8)

On 10.5.8, I had a client's computer connected to a Server 2008 shared folder. The drive was mapped and connected. I need the user credentials associated with that mapped drive deleted--disconnecting does NOT delete the saved credentials.

Here's the situation:
1. C:\shared\public was mapped successfully, and info entered for user name and password as user name "public", using smb://ipaddress/public; the shared name is \\servername\public
2. I created credentials on the server (where the files are shared) for the directory above, at C:\shared with user name "shared"; the shared name is \\servername\shared
3. I disconnected the mapped drive within OSX, removed recent folders, removed favorite folders via the Go>Connect to server menu option.
4. Entered and saved a NEW connection, using all of the following:
4a. smb://ipaddress/shared
4b. smb://servername/shared
4c. smb://sharedassword@ipaddress/shared
4d. smb://sharedassword@servername/shared
5. OSX refuses to use forced new credentials, or request a new user name & password to be entered under any of the above.
6. OSX connects as previously saved "public" credentials rather than "shared".

How can I do the following:
1. View all saved, mapped drive user credentials
2. Delete select saved, mapped drive user credentials.

For instance, if you're familiar with Windows, what I do in a similar conflicting situation with saved user credentials is open a command prompt (firstly, if there is a command prompt in OSX, please direct me to it in your instructions--presume I've never used OSX before), and type "net use" to view all mapped drive credentials, then if I wanted to delete the credentials for \\server\public I would type "net use /delete \\server\public" and the credentials would be removed, allowing a fresh user/password to be entered. Something like that would work for me, but I need my hand held along the way, as if I've never used OSX before.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
schwartze
MVP

Do a search in KeyChain Access (/Applications/Utilities/KeychainAccess) for the share.

Delete any references there where the username you don't want is. The kind will be Network Password.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
cpragman
All Star

Under osx, when you connect to a network share, the system prompt with a dialog box asking for userID and password. There is a small checkbox that can be selected to "remember" the password. Checking this box adds an entry in the user's keychain.

The passwords in the keychain can become outdated if the user's server password is updated. Keychain will continue offering the old, outdated password to the server (with no UI showing that this is what is happening) and the user will get inexplicable access denied messages when trying to connect to the server.

I tell my users to NOT check the remember password Che box when logging into the server, so as to avoid this. If a user calls me with a server connection problem, the first thing I do now is clear all these stale items out of their keychain. Usually, that's all that's required.
cpragman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: