Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 05-21-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
mromano
Prospect

Question Cannot move to Trash because it cannot be deleted

I'm running OS 10.2.6. My teen son downloaded an app and couldn't get it to open so he deleted it... or so he thought. It appears to be for OS 7-9. I have tried to delete the files I see but keep getting the message noted in my "subject line". Changed all permissions to me (admin)... booted into "Classic" and tried removing from there, but to no avail. Any other options available?

Marc
mromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #2
mervTormel
League Commissioner

hmm, i suspect the file is 'busy'

see this thread and determine if the file is busy...

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showth...usy+AND+delete
Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
bobw
Major Leaguer

Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
tlarkin
League Commissioner

that will work what bobw mentioned, however be careful using the sudo commands. If you do use them make sure you type in the command letter for letter word for word. That will give you root access to a command if you don't do it properly you could mess up your whole system.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
boobie
Prospect

doesn't "rm -rf" work as well, without going into root? I always use "rm -rf" without any problem but i'm the only user so it might have something to do with that.
boobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally posted by boobie
doesn't "rm -rf" work as well, without going into root? I always use "rm -rf" without any problem but i'm the only user so it might have something to do with that.

That will work for all files you have read/write access to. The sudo (super user do) command allows you to modify files that belong to the root, which is basically the whole system folder. So yes rm -rf will work all all files that belong to your group, and the ones that the administrator can modify.

In this case you are already logged in as an administrator and do not have access to the files in the trash and cannot get rid of them. So you would have to use a sudo, to get root to get rid of the files.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
mervTormel
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally posted by tlarkin
...The sudo (super user do) command allows you to modify files that belong to the root...

an important distinction:

the sudo/su facilities (substitute user) enable one to switch identity to another user, and gain the rights of said user, the default being user root.

the root user has full access to any files, not just the root user's. all files must be owned by someone. you and root aren't the only users on a rig...

users:

$ nidump passwd . | cut -d: -f1
nobody
root
daemon
unknown
smmsp
mysql
sshd
merv

the only file that can't be changed by the root user is one that has the system immutable flag set (see man chlfags). in this case, only super-user in single-user mode can turn off the system immutable bit.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:02 PM   #8
mromano
Prospect

I have several folders that were created during his session. Can I drag all to the terminal window and delete all at once or do they need to be handled individually?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
tlarkin
League Commissioner

you should drag each item one at a time to the terminal after using that command line.

If you would like to save time go to http://www.versiontracker.com and download a free program called cocktail. It has a "Force empty trash" option in the application and will force your trash to completely empty.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #10
mromano
Prospect

I haven't been able to even move the files/folders to the trash, They all are in my "User's" folder at I am guessing (I'm new) the root level. In the Usre's folder I have each user folder plus the additional folders this app layed in.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
mromano
Prospect

tlarkin

reading thru your post again... the folders may be removed by cocktail to clean up my son's deletion of the original program?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM   #12
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Yes, cocktail will force everything you put in the trash to be deleted. Go HERE to download it. Its a freeware application.

If you cannot even move them to the trash, then the sudo rm -rf will work. You could alos log in as root and delete them that way. Hope that helps.

Last edited by tlarkin; 05-22-2003 at 07:25 PM.
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:29 PM   #13
yellow

Quote:
tlarkin wrote: Its a freeware application.

Actially it's donation-ware, if you like it and use it, please donate to the designer!
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #14
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow
Actially it's donation-ware, if you like it and use it, please donate to the designer!

Oh, I did not know that, VT lists it as freeware.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:25 AM   #15
serpico
Prospect

Cocktail was actually recommended to me this week and I love it. I used to use MacJanitor but this app does so much more and that Force Empty Trash feature is great. I remember those days of 10.0 when this happened alot and I had to reboot and then empty the trash! I can't believe how much OSX has changed.
serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:18 PM   #16
mromano
Prospect

Thumbs up Success

tlarkin... thanks for the point to Cocktail! Downloaded it... gave it a quick look-see... very straight forward and simple... and was able to delete the folders... painlessly. It also seems to have a number of other useful applications. I can see why serpico is impressed with it so much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: