Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
joebob
Prospect

Mac book pro won't boot on CD

Hey everyone,
here is my problem : I want to partitionate my HD but disk utility don't want to do it because "the disk is damaged and needs repair. Reboot your computer from another drive (like OS X installation CD) and use disk utility"
As a good guy, i did just what he asked me to do : reboot from the original installation disk. But then, even if my CD Drive makes as much sound as if trying to take off, impossible to get past the apple logo. I tried everything I found over the internet : using a second installation CD, using Disk Warrior, booting from a USB key (couldn't do that either) and reseting PRAM but nothing worked so far.
Can anybody help me ?

(My computer is a MacBook Pro 15" core i7 bought in may last year)

Thanks!
joebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

If you bought this Mac in May of last year, then it is still under warranty. So you should take it to an Apple store for service.
There might be something wrong with the CD/DVD drive.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
joebob
Prospect

yeah I thought about that but it has no problem reading CDs when the computer is on ... :'(
Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
joebob
Prospect

yeah i thought about that but the drive has no problem reading CDs when the computer is on :'(
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob
But then, even if my CD Drive makes as much sound as if trying to take off, impossible to get past the apple logo.

If you boot while holding down Command-V on your keyboard, instead of getting the graphical Apple logo, you will see text messages that occur during the boot process. Tell us what the last several text messages are before there's a problem, and we may be able to figure out why you cannot boot from the original disc.

Also, are you absolutely sure that the disc you are trying to boot from is the original disc that shipped with THIS computer?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
joebob
Prospect

Thanks for your answers ! So :
- No, the disc i'm trying to boot from is not the original disc (I lent it to a friend and I'm still trying to get it back) but I used a Snow Leopard installation disc I got from Apple and a disc warrior disc
- when I hold down Cmd-V there are about 6 lines of text (3 lines, 2 lines of ., 3 lines, 2 lines of . and then nothing) which say (last 3 lines) :
"root device uuid is [lots of numbers and letters]
Loading drivers ...
Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext ..."
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Your MacBook Pro came with 10.6.3, and a special build just for that Mac. The commercial 10.6.3 probably won't work (which sounds like your experience so far)
AFAIK, Apple isn't yet selling a commercial OS X install that will work with your MacBook Pro.
You will need your original disk to do this - and your disk wouldn't work for your friend, unless he also has the same modem MacBook Pro. (Where's his original disk? )
And from the Disk Warrior support page:
Quote:
NOTE: The current DiskWarrior DVD cannot start up the new iMac Core i3, i5 and i7 models, the new MacBook Pros (introduced April 13, 2010), the new MacBook Air (introduced October 20, 2010), the new Mac Mini models (introduced June 15, 2010) or the new Mac Pros (introduced July 27, 2010). An updated disc that will also start up these recent Mac models will be released as soon as Apple, Inc. releases new startup files to Alsoft, Inc. and other developers.

DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
joebob
Prospect

Arg ok :'( thank you very much at least now I know what's going on. Is there any other solution for me to boot my comp from ? so I can get this damn HD repaired ?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
... the disc i'm trying to boot from is not the original disc (I lent it to a friend and I'm still trying to get it back) ...

Where's your friend?

Get your own disk back (your friend can't likely use it anyway, unless you both have exactly the same model), then you can do other things, like a re-install.
Or, take to an Apple service shop or Apple Store, and convince them that your hard drive has failed.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
trevor

Quote:
Arg ok :'( thank you very much at least now I know what's going on. Is there any other solution for me to boot my comp from ? so I can get this damn HD repaired ?

Possibly. Try this:

Boot to single user mode by holding down Command-S immediately after pressing the power button.

In single user mode, you will see light colored text on a dark background, and a command prompt. At that prompt, type the following, EXACTLY AS SHOWN including the space after fsck and before the hyphen:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Hit Return at the end of the line. fsck will go through it's process over a few minutes. It finishes with the line

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If it says

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

then you need to repeat fsck again, by typing in the above command one more time. When the file system was NOT modified and it reports OK, then type

reboot

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
joebob
Prospect

wow it worked just fine ! thanks a lot you're awesome guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: