Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
mnewman
MVP

Router Firmware: Tomato vs. DD-WRT

I've been running the Tomato firmware on an old Linksys WRT54G for years now. It works great, except that the old router doesn't do 802.11n wireless. Since we now have a house full of 802.11n capable devices I thought it would be a good idea to get a new router.

Based on a few reviews I bought a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and installed the DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware on it. All this went smoothly.

Unfortunately, I can't get DD-WRT to establish a PPPoE connection through my ADSL modem which is in fully bridged mode. I never had any problem with this using the Tomato firmware on the Linksys router. It should be simple. Enter the user name and password and you're good to go.

The odd thing is that sometimes it will establish a PPPoE connection which only stays up a few seconds before it disconnects.

The DD-WRT help page says: "The Setup screen is the first screen you will see when accessing the router. Most users will be able to configure the router and get it working properly using only the settings on this screen. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will require that you enter specific information, such as User Name, Password, IP Address, Default Gateway Address, or DNS IP Address. This information can be obtained from your ISP, if required."

My ISP only requires User Name and Password; everything else is served up via DHCP.

What am I missing here?

At the moment I'm just using the Buffalo in router mode as a Wireless Access Point for 802.11n. This works, but I was hoping to get the old Linksys off of my cluttered desk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: