Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
elysiansmiles
Prospect

MacBook Pro random shutdown

Hi! This is my first mac and I'm still trying to figure out all of how it works. This may be a common or simple problem, but please humor me.

My macbook pro seems to turn off at random times when it is unplugged, even if it is fully charged. I'm in school, and I was using it in class on the charger - no problem. When I went to the library and didn't plug the charger in right away, after a few minutes it just shut down without a warning. I got a new battery when I bought this laptop (I got it used, its an older model macbook pro 15 inch) and I usually get 3+ hours of charge out of the battery (depending on how I'm using the computer). This random shut down thing has happened twice at least, and always when running on just battery power. Lots of times it runs just fine on the battery, so I can't really find a common thread to when this happens. When it does, it won't turn on again until I plug in the charger, and when it goes it seems to go through the whole boot process (not like when it runs out of battery typically and I plug it in and then it just restores). Also, this time it had trouble opening the application I was using before the shut down, it said it had been shut down improperly. I didn't lose any info, I'm obsessed with saving, but it was a mildly annoying conundrum.
When I turn it back on, the a while the computer will not charge (the thing in the right hand corner tells me its Not Charging). Eventually it figures it out and starts charging again.

I've looked in other forum posts that seem to address similar problems but I was either confused or not quite sure the problem was the same. I've seen people in the other forum posts ask for this data from the system profiler so I'll put it here, too. Thank for your time and advice!

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: GSA-A1175
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 012d
PCB Lot Code: 050d
Firmware Version: 646e
Hardware Revision: 2800
Cell Revision: 0000
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2692
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4941
Health Information:
Cycle count: 84
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 11532

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 120
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 90
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: No
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 85
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x00a8d23d
Charging: No
elysiansmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

You would seem to have a charging issue and that could lead to quick shutdowns when running on battery due to a minimally charged battery. Note that the System Profiler information you posted shows the power cord plugged in but the battery is not charging despite being at 54% of capacity.

The end of the AC cord which connects to your Mac will always show a green (charged) or amber (charging) light. Is this showing on your computer?
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
elysiansmiles
Prospect

It wasn't charging when I first plugged it in after it randomly shut down, but it is now (a few minutes later). The light was green when it said "Not Charging" but is now redish and it says it is charging now.
elysiansmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: