Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
w0lver
Prospect

MacBook Air Corrupt Drive

I have a Macbook Air that was getting errors during an attempt to backup, so I ran repair disk from the Disk Utility. It said he could do the repairs on the current system disk to restart with the OS install disk and try again. Which I did. It said the repair failed and to backup, reformat and restore.

Well now the machine will not boot up. In a normal Mac I'd put it in Target Mode and back up the drive, not an option for the Air. So then I tried to make boot disk using my Pro and 16Gb flash drive. I started to boot got the Apple and the spinner but then the screen went black and the activity light went out.

So after some Googling I found DiskWarrior, bought a copy and downloaded it. However, they mail you a boot DVD and their are no instruction on how to create your own.

I have a board meeting on Tuesday and need files on this machine that didn't get backed up. So what now? Is there a better method for a boot disk then the CCC instructions? Anyone have a boot image I could add my copy of DiskWarrior too? Or maybe a way I just just get at the home directory to pull the files and reformat the drive?

Any help or ideas? I'll be indebted to you.
w0lver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

You can get a 8GB Flash Drive (memory stick) and create a diskwarrior boot disk.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
w0lver
Prospect

How?

I can't find instructions on how to do that; I have a 16Gb stick. What do I need to do? Is there instructions on-line?
w0lver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
agentx
Hall of Famer

If you have another mac diswarrior provide a program which creates a boot disk. From memory it can create a disk image file which you can restore to the USB stick. You have to format and partition the key to mac osx entrnded with guid partition map using disk utility. You can use carbon copy cloner to restore the disk image to flash drive.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
agentx
Hall of Famer

I have all my install disks as USB keys works great on modern macs that can boot on USB. Very useful as I am always updating/fixing computers. So much more reliable than DVD installs.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
appleman_design
Hall of Famer

you can use a free app called DasBoot

""Do you have a shiny new flash drive, or multi use storage device in your pocket ? Now you can turn it into a Mac OS X diagnostic, repair, and maintenance tool. DasBoot allows you to take any third party boot CD (such as those shipped by SubRosaSoft.com Inc, Prosoft Engineering Inc, Alsoft Inc, or Micromat Inc) and quickly create a bootable diagnostic device that contains any of your own utilities you may wish to install.""
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot disk, corruption, hard disk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: