Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
supportlivemusic
Prospect

Left button on USB mouse suddenly does not work

Hello everyone,

I have a MacBook that is about 3 years old and I have been using a standard
USB mouse for the past few months due to a problem with my trackpad.

Anyway, the mouse had been working fine through last night, but when I woke up this morning and tried to use the computer and the left mouse button suddenly does not function. However, there are no problems with the cursor movement or the right click button.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to resolve this, I would really appreciate it. I use my computer for part-time evening work and I need to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

Sorcha
supportlivemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Does your trackpad button also not work?
Try a restart of your Mac. That may be all that is needed to get your mouse button working again.
Try a different USB mouse. If the problem goes away with a different mouse, then you have a bad mouse.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
trevor

Can you tell us exactly what the problem with your trackpad is? I wonder if the failed trackpad (if that's what it is) might be having an effect on mouse behavior.

Does the mouse that you're using with this MacBook function normally (including, of course, the left button) on any other computer? In other words, is it possible that your left mouse button hardware has just failed?

If you create a new user on your MacBook, and log out of your existing user and into the new one, does the mouse's left mouse button work in the new user? (This is an information-gathering question, not a solution.)

What do you have set in System Preferences > Trackpad? What do you have set in System Preferences > Mouse?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
supportlivemusic
Prospect

Hi guys,

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I am only able to access the Internet reliably from another (non-Mac) computer, but as an update....

As far as my Mac issue goes, the mouse cursor/buttons, including the left button work fine upon each reboot. Then, without warning, after varying amounts of time, the left mouse button will stop responding. From what I can tell, there are no commonalities between what makes the mouse stop responding (such as certain keystrokes).

Also, the problem persists when I login to a new user account, making it seem that the problem is definitely not something related to a setting on my main account.

I have tried two separate mice, and am seeing the issue when using either one. I am going to borrow my coworker's Bluetooth mouse tonight and try that, and if the issue continues, I guess the only thing left to do is to take it into my local Mac service provider.

Also, in regards to my trackpad issues, about 3 months ago, the trackpad stopped responding to clicks, leading me to begin using a USB mouse. Regarding the person here who suggested that my trackpad issues and the current problem are linked, that's very possible. I just hope that this is something that can be fixed with replacement parts, as I'd rather not have to buy an entire new machine.

Sorcha
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
trevor

What do you have set in System Preferences > Trackpad? What do you have set in System Preferences > Mouse?

Trevor
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
supportlivemusic
Prospect

For the trackpad, the first 2 boxes are unchecked....use two fingers to scroll and allow horizontal scrolling. Also, the next box down is checked "Zoom while holding", and the selector is on "Control". From there on down, "clicking" is checked" and "dragging" and "drag-lock" are unchecked.

The "ignore trackpad when mouse is present" is unchecked, but the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is checked. The "For secondary clicks, place two fingers..." option is unchecked.

As far as my mouse settings (I am still at my work computer, so am going from memory) go, I just remember setting related to the scrolling, pointer and click speed, all represented in draggable continuum bars. I am not using the one button Mac mouse, but a standard two-button mouse, so, that probably makes a difference in the available options.

Thanks again!

Sorcha
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
trevor

Can you try to check "ignore trackpad when mouse is present"? If a failure of the trackpad is causing the problem, this setting might help restore your mice to proper functioning.

Trevor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: