Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
dcains
Prospect

Is there an auto mouse clicker app for OS X?

As the title asks, does such a program exist? There seem to be plenty for PC's, but I can't find anything similar for my Mac's. I want something to dismiss those annoying "Are you still listening?" pop-ups in Pandora, Sirius, etc. It has to have an adjustable time interval, and a loop function to repeat the action. Any ideas?
dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
regulus6633
Major Leaguer

Applescript. Here's some tutorials you can look at to learn a little about it. Look at the ones titled "AppleScript Tutorial for Beginners"... here
Then once you have some idea about what you need to do you can post a more specific question here. That forum is dedicated to applescript and there's many people who can guide you.
regulus6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
dcains
Prospect

Thx, I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
styrafome
Hall of Famer

I've seen a few at macupdate.com and versiontracker.com and they're probably free. There should be no need to build one from scratch unless you're looking for a project.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
dcains
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrafome
I've seen a few at macupdate.com and versiontracker.com and they're probably free. There should be no need to build one from scratch unless you're looking for a project.

I really liked "Keyboard and Mouse Recorder", but I'm not willing to pay $30 for it. Also tried "Keyboard Maestro" today (those are the only 2 I was able to find after lots of searching this afternoon), and it's very buggy and crash-prone on 10.6.4. Thanks, though.

Dean
Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I have Keyboard Maestro running under 10.6.4 with no problems. In fact, I'm on five years with various versions of the application, and I've never had an issue with it. That's not to say your problems aren't real, but it may be caused by something else in your system. All that said, the developer (Peter Lewis) is extremely responsive and puts a strong emphasis on customer support, so you may want to contact him.

And while I'm not certain if it will help with your original quest, have a look at LazyMouse and SteerMouse, both of which can move the cursor to a default dialog button, though I'm not certain if they can do all you seek.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
amramr_345
Prospect

Try this...

1) In System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad, turn on Mouse Keys and check "Enable access for assistive devices."

2) Copy the code below and paste it into your AppleScript Editor, located in the Utilities folder. From the Editor's File menu select Save As > File Format: Application, and make sure to check "Stay Open" under Options.

on idle
tell application "System Events"
key code 87 -- no. 5 on numeric keypad
end tell
return 5 -- clicks every 5 seconds; adjust to suit
end idle

When launched, the script will effect a mouse click every 5 seconds upon whatever button or ui element the mouse pointer happens to be hovering over. To adjust the interval, edit the return 5 command accordingly. To quit the script at any time, click on its docked icon and select Quit from the menu. Good luck.
amramr_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Sumleilmus
MVP

Zut alors!

amramr_345, that's cool.

There is something called Jiggler, but its clicks seemed to be designed to thwart sleep, and may not be configurable to target the way the suggested script (which I have not tried but will essay to remember) appears to be.
10.9.5 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 4core, 2008)
Sumleilmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
styrafome
Hall of Famer

Oh, yeah. I might have misread dcains' request. I was thinking of apps like Jiggler that keep the Mac from sensing inactivity.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: