Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
greenjm90

Question Mysterious Shared (Local) Server Has Appeared

I recently opened Finder and noticed under my "Shared" category a mysterious item called "carlosb". Not recognising this and being on a private (and secured) router, I logged onto the router to see what this was.

The connection details that are coming up for "carlosb" are the IP and Mac Address of my machine. I therefore tried clicking "Connect As" in my Finder window and I get the message "Connection Failed. The server "carlosb" is available on your computer. Access the volumes and files locally."

I have never created a file, let alone a server called carlosb and have no idea where this shared place has come from. More to the point, I can't find out anyway to dismount this server or see exactly where it is coming from. A spotlight search reveals nothing. Can anyone shed some light on what this is likely to be and whether it could have occurred maliciously? It would also be much appreciate if someone could tell me how to erase this "Shared" item/server.

Many thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Sumleilmus
MVP

help us

Help us help you.

Tell us more about your hardware (all of it in your LAN), and tell us more about your software, especially OS version. Does your machine have a wired, wireless, or both kinds at once connection to the LAN?

Open a Terminal window. Wait a few seconds, then copy the text below and paste it into the window, hit enter. Copy the result and post it in your reply.

Code:
whois carlosb
10.9.3 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 4core, 2008)
Sumleilmus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: