Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
afro_puff
Major Leaguer

Old Wireless SSID (Router Name) Still Showing Up

I had an old Airport Extreme router called Blue Steel (after Zoolander). I hated it, so I sold it and got a Linksys which I also named Blue Steel. After having numerous wireless problems (showing it was connected but not getting internet, etc) I decided to rename my new router to something else, lets just call it LINKSYS for the story's sake.

So my new router is named LINKSYS and I can connect to it without problems, but for some reason Blue Steel is still showing up in the wireless list despite it literally no longer existing.

A few things to note as I have searched far and wide for a solution to this...

1. I have gone to every computer/device I have and completely removed it from the networking prefs (from auto-connecting).

2. If I try to connect to Blue Steel (which still shows up after over a month) the password works, but it doesn't provide internet.

3. The Blue Steel router was sold on ebay and is over a thousand miles away from where I live. (IE, there is no chance that I gave it to a friend who is using it.)

With all that said, I did some network stumbling today and of course Blue Steel still showed up, but it was being broadcast on Wireless Channel 149. Just so you know, US routers can only broadcast on Channels 1-11.

So there you have it. I don't believe in ghosts so we can cross that off the list, but why the holy hell does my other router's SSID remain???
Old 07-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

Very odd indeed.

Have you removed the Items from Keychain Access as well and preferred networks.
Probably a cache file somewhere....
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
trevor

Quote:
but it was being broadcast on Wireless Channel 149. Just so you know, US routers can only broadcast on Channels 1-11.

No, that's an incomplete understanding of the truth. US routers that are broadcasting at 2.4 GHz (in simplified terms, 802.11b or 802.11g) only broadcast on channels 1 - 11.

BUT, US routers that are broadcasting at 5 GHz (in simplified terms, one frequency used by 802.11a or 802.11n) have a much longer list of acceptable channels, and channel 149 is completely valid. It's also legal in the US.

Is your Airport Extreme Base Station the model with two radios?

Do you have any other computers in the house that are "Sharing" 802.11a or 802.11n? Even if you aren't aware of any, perhaps you should check specifically. Any other routers or router-like devices at all? Could your modem also have a wireless router in it, for example?

Could one of your neighbors have set up a network with the same name "Blue Steel"? Although it's a bit difficult to imagine them using the same password, unless you set the password as something connected to Blue Steel, like, say, "Zoolander".

In your network stumbling, did you get any further information (hopefully the BSSID, basically the MAC address) about the "Blue Steel" device? What is it?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
afro_puff
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
Have you removed the Items from Keychain Access as well and preferred networks.
Probably a cache file somewhere....

I checked Keychain Access and indeed, there was a Key for Blue Steel there. I deleted that on all my computers. Not sure about where I would find cache files. Blue Steel is still showing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
Is your Airport Extreme Base Station the model with two radios?

Yes, it was the one with two radios. Very much past tense.

Quote:
Do you have any other computers in the house that are "Sharing" 802.11a or 802.11n? Even if you aren't aware of any, perhaps you should check specifically. Any other routers or router-like devices at all? Could your modem also have a wireless router in it, for example?

I checked sharing on all my computers and none of them have 'Internet Sharing' enabled (I figured as much but I checked anyway just to answer all your questions). I have no other Wifi routers and my my modem is a plain jane unit from Time Warner. I am 100% sure it is not a router.

Quote:
In your network stumbling, did you get any further information (hopefully the BSSID, basically the MAC address) about the "Blue Steel" device? What is it?

Using iStumbler 'Blue Steel' shows up twice:

1) Channel 11 - Mac Address 0:26:b0:fe:9e:d7
2) Channel 149 - Mac Address 0:26:b0:fe:9e:d8

I posted a screenshot of the info from iStumbler.

Thank you for helping me with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-08 at 10.38.25 AM.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	3916  
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
trevor

00:26:b0 is Apple. So it's showing that somebody has an Apple device, with two separate channels (in other words, an Airport Base Station with two radios), with the same SSID as you used to use, that accepts the password that you used to use. Yeah, it does sound like a corrupted cache file.

Can you install a stumbler on some device that was never connected to the old Airport Base Station and see if it detects the Blue Stumbler SSID? (For example, if you recently got a new iPhone 4, install a stumbler on it and check with that!)

Also, if you walk around with iStumbler (I'm assuming it's installed on a laptop), where does the signal strength get strongest? Does the reported signal level change at all? If you go outside, does the reported signal level diminish or increase?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
afro_puff
Major Leaguer

I actually do have an iPhone 4, but I haven't activated yet (and might not be doing so until next Wednesday... its complicated). But I will be sure to update you when it first tries to connect.

I will point out that Blue Steel still shows up on my current iPhone though. SO literally every device is seeing this phantom router.

And while I did at one point name my LINKSYS router Blue Steel. I have thoroughly checked it for any signs of "Blue Steel" in the config files and nothing shows up.

I'll run those net stumbler test later... (walking around).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: