Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
petpirepete
Prospect

Question Modify "Search With Google" Service to use another browser???

I'm looking for this for a long time. I want to be able to use the "Search With Google" Service with other browsers than Safari.

I don't know if it's even possible and didn't find any information about that on the internet.

I hope someone here will be able to help!

I am using:
Powerbook G4 1.67
I want to use Firefox to search Google

Thanks
petpirepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Just to clarify - you want the OS X Services menu "search with Google" to use a non-Apple browser, instead of Apple's Safari?

Why not just use the search menubar window in FireFox? That also allows you to choose on-the-fly from several different search engines. Why restrict yourself to just Google?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
petpirepete
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Just to clarify - you want the OS X Services menu "search with Google" to use a non-Apple browser, instead of Apple's Safari?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Why not just use the search menubar window in FireFox? That also allows you to choose on-the-fly from several different search engines. Why restrict yourself to just Google?

In fact, it's about the right clic menu search with google that we can use in many apps (TextEdit, Mail...). Each time you use it it open Safari instead of using your default browser.

I wanted to be able to change the default browser for this feature because it's a cool feature that can boost your productivity. It's a lot faster to right clic than to:
- select - copy - open browser - paste - clic search button/press enter -
Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
tw
Hall of Famer

technically speaking, that's not a 'service' but rather a contextual menu item (services are in the 'services' submenu). My guess would be that it just runs an 'open' command in unix, so that the webpage will open in whatever your default browser is; try setting your default browser to firefox and see if that works. If not, you can easily create a new (actual) service that will search for selected text in google in whatever browser you prefer.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
petpirepete
Prospect

Thanks for the info!

I said service because it is in the services menu: "search with Google : command-shift-L" and regardless the default browser it will open with Safari.

Last edited by petpirepete; 05-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
mclbruce
Hall of Famer

I'm seeing the problem as well. If I use "Search with Google" in TextEdit, or iCal, it opens Safari. If I use it in Firefox, my default browser, I get the result in Firefox.

I don't know how to fix the problem. Perhaps you could use Automator to make a new service or contextual menu item that works with a different browser or the default browser.
mclbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
petpirepete
Prospect

I know I could use an appple script and the app "ThisService" to add the script to the services menu but unfortunately I'm really bad with apple script...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
petpirepete
Prospect

I tried this without success

Code:
#This script searches Google.com for the contents of text in the clipboard.

set url1 to "http://www.google.ca/search?q="

tell application "System Events"

set myquery to the clipboard

end tell

-- changes space to plus using function at end of file

set thequery to SaR(myquery, " ", "+")

tell application "Firefox"

activate

tell application "System Events"

tell process "Firefox"

click menu item "New tab" of menu "File" of menu bar 1

end tell

end tell

set theURL to url1 & thequery
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
tw
Hall of Famer

ok, here's how you do it. Open Automator, select Service from the popup that appears. At the top of the window, make sure it says "Service receives selected text in any application", and that the 'replaces text' checkbox is off. now add the action Run Shell Script (you can find that in the 'Utilities' section). Leave the shell as /bin/bash, set the 'pass input' pulldown menu to say as arguments, delete the default for-loop text that appears, and enter open -a FireFox "http://www.google.ca/search?q=$1" into the text area. save the service3 with whatever name you like. This service will use Firefox to search for selected text in google. if you want to use a different browser, replace -a FireFox with whatever (-a Camino, -a Opera, -a SeaMonkey). If you want to choose a browser at run time that will take an extra action - ask if you can't figure it out.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
petpirepete
Prospect

Automator's services are for snow leopard only

Powerbook
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
tw
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petpirepete
Automator's services are for snow leopard only

Powerbook

then you'll need to use On My Command (or similar) and adapt the above script. I don't have a 10.5 machine to test on, though, so not much I can do to help.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
petpirepete
Prospect

If I achieve something I'll let you know!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
petpirepete
Prospect

Here's how I did it:

Download and Install OnMyCommand/OMCEdit
Open OMCEdit
Click on "Download Commands" then "Download"
Go in "Command Library"
Choose #22 and click on "Append to Command"
Change the name if you want (in "Command Name")
Write " Top Level " in location if you don't want a sub-menu, or choose a name for the sub-menu ("In On My Command" is the default)
Save
and you're done!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
petpirepete
Prospect

Here's 2 commands for Google Translate:

From any language to French:

open "http://translate.google.fr/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text="__OBJ_TEXT__"&sl=auto&tl=fr#"

From any language to English:

open "http://translate.google.fr/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text="__OBJ_TEXT__"&sl=auto&tl=en#"

Last edited by petpirepete; 05-27-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
petpirepete
Prospect

HINT: Add a Search Google that use your default browser to the contextual menu

Thanks for those who helped in my previous thread!

I was looking for this for a long time. In OS X, there's a cool feature that let you search in google from the contextual menu in a lot of apps (Mail, TextEdit, iCal...) but this features use Safari instead of your default browser (Firefox). I wanted to be able to do the same with my default browser, here's how I've done it:

Download and Install OnMyCommand/OMCEdit
Open OMCEdit
Click on "Download Commands" then "Download"
Go in "Command Library"
Choose #22 and click on "Append to Command"
Change the name if you want (in "Command Name")
Write " Top Level " in location if you don't want a sub-menu, or choose a name for the sub-menu ("In On My Command" is the default)
Save
You're done!

This tool let you add a lot of useful things to your contextual menu. Here's two more commands I made to be able to translate(Google Translate):

From any language to French:

open "http://translate.google.fr/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text="__OBJ_TEXT__"&sl=auto&tl=fr#"

From any language to English:

open "http://translate.google.fr/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text="__OBJ_TEXT__"&sl=auto&tl=en#"

You just need to make a new command (in OMCEdit), add the command in the command field and name it. Those can easily be change to fit the language of your choice. If you want to use a specific browser instead of your default add "-a YourBrowserName" without the quotes before the command.

Exemple:
open -a FireFox "http://translate.google.fr/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text="__OBJ_TEXT__"&sl=auto&tl=en#"

I hope you'll enjoy!

I am using this with Leopard but it should work in Snow Leopard as well.

Hugo
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
hayne
Site Admin

petpirepete:
I merged your new thread in with this one.
Note that the forums are help forums - they are not for posting hints. The place for that is the main macosxhints site.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
spoow
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
ok, here's how you do it. Open Automator, select Service from the popup that appears. At the top of the window, make sure it says "Service receives selected text in any application", and that the 'replaces text' checkbox is off. now add the action Run Shell Script (you can find that in the 'Utilities' section). Leave the shell as /bin/bash, set the 'pass input' pulldown menu to say as arguments, delete the default for-loop text that appears, and enter open -a FireFox "http://www.google.ca/search?q=$1" into the text area. save the service3 with whatever name you like. This service will use Firefox to search for selected text in google. if you want to use a different browser, replace -a FireFox with whatever (-a Camino, -a Opera, -a SeaMonkey). If you want to choose a browser at run time that will take an extra action - ask if you can't figure it out.

I'm using Google Chrome and its doesn't work with me
spoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
tw
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoow
I'm using Google Chrome and its doesn't work with me

and this surprises you?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #19
spoow
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw

i'm trying to contact you are available thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #20
spoow
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
and this surprises you?

yeah its , how can i fix it please?

Tags
google services browser