Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
pmmp99
Prospect

What to do when Websites REQUIRE Internet Explorer

I just changed today from PC's to Macs and I am very excited. I bought a Mac desktop for the family and MacBook Pro for my business.

I'm a therapist and the first website I tried (one that I really need for my job-to apply for reimbursement from insurance companies) says it doesn't work with non-Microsoft browsers. I tried it with Safari and with Firefox. The website is https://navinet.navimedix.com

So, does this mean that I have to download internet explorer onto my new MacBook Pro???????? What do most of you run?? I know that Internet Explorer is really terrible from a programming standpoint but can I really live without it??

Do most of you run something else and then just open up IE for certain websites?

Please feel free to point me to an existing forum answer--I couldn't find the answer to this question. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!
pmmp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
soho
Major Leaguer

You could try Internet Explorer 5.2 for Mac, see here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Explorer.shtml
It's the last version of IE Microsoft shipped for Mac and is quite old so may not work with the site in question...worth a try though.
If all else fails you could install Parallels and a virtual Windows machine.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

You should complain to people who run the site that they are not complying with W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standards. They are obviously using ActiveX, which only Microsoft products can deal with. You should complain in the strongest terms that their decision not to use open standards means that you (and presumably others) cannot access the site.

The version of IE above is a very old version, and may not work on your Mac. You'll certainly need to install Apple's "Rosetta", which allows old Mac code to run.

If that doesn't work, then you will have buy a copy of Windows and run it in a Virtual Machine. Alternatively, you'll need to find a Windows machine that you can use (presumably securely, given the nature of the data).

Apart from that, there isn't really IE on the Mac. I've not used IE for several years. The numbers of sites that are "MS-only" is very small and decreasing every day.

Last edited by benwiggy; 05-13-2010 at 05:22 AM.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
renaultssoftware
MVP

In Safari Preferences, the Advanced tab, click "Show "Develop" in menu bar." Now you can choose the agent that Safari will impersonate.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaultssoftware
In Safari Preferences, the Advanced tab, click "Show "Develop" in menu bar." Now you can choose the agent that Safari will impersonate.

I tried that, but the site still refused me.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You can probably get that site to work on your Mac, using Crossover. That allows to you to use many Windows apps without installing Windows.
Looks like IE 6 is best supported with Crossover.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Or, you could add Windows to your Mac, using your Boot Camp Assistant.
Or, one of the virtualization solutions, such as Parallels Desktop, work very nicely.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

That site has a very minimal html page which loads some Javascript, which then loads a pile of ActiveX. No way it will work on a non-MSIE browser, and it's been deliberately written that way.

If you are in the USA you could easily have a legal case against the company - non-compliant portal requiring proprietary software. Got a handicapped person you can hire that needs a standards-based feature like a screen reader? ACLU might get interested.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
pmmp99
Prospect

Thank you to everyone who responded. Yes, I will complain loudly and I will try these other work arounds.
pmmp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
freelunch
Triple-A Player

I have Internet Explorer 5.2.3 on a PPC G5 running 10.5.8. I tried your site and got "Please wait while NaviNet loads..." and never got any further (but I only waited a few minutes).
freelunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
styrafome
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho
You could try Internet Explorer 5.2 for Mac, see here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Explorer.shtml
It's the last version of IE Microsoft shipped for Mac and is quite old so may not work with the site in question...worth a try though.

IE for Mac is sufficiently different from the PC version that it probably won't work. Most sites that "require Internet Explorer" depend on Windows-only technology to run, so even if IE for Mac still worked properly on today's Macs (which it doesn't) it still wouldn't have what was needed to make the site work.

First thing to try is the Crossover suggestion above, because it's free. If that doesn't work, try a copy of Windows (paid) combined with VirtualBox (free). I both own Parallels and have tried VirtualBox and while Parallels is certainly a fast, reliable product, VirtualBox is now very very good, for free, with few remaining disadvantages to Parallels at this point. I can run Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro with VirtualBox.

However, if you can get the Crossover solution to work, do that, because while I haven't tried it I can only imagine that it would take far less RAM and disk space and expense than paying for Windows and running it under a virtualizer, just to run one bleeping browser.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
tlarkin
League Commissioner

I have used cross over in the past and installed the newest version of IE on Macs that need it (active x like stated earlier).

also check out this link: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/news/51
Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
Nicanor
Triple-A Player

Not free, but you could try the app discussed here to run IE7.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
stefjackson

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmp99
Thank you to everyone who responded. Yes, I will complain loudly and I will try these other work arounds.

did you ever get this to work? i am a therapist and have the exact same issue. what are you doing to go on the navinet web site?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

With that site's use of ActiveX - you must use Internet Explorer, higher than version 5.5
The suggested techniques are listed in this thread. One or more of those will work for you, too. I suggest looking at Crossover first, as it's the only one that doesn't also require installing Windows.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: