Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
nikkymat
Prospect

Installing Mac OSX on a External Hard Drive on Intel iMac

I wonder if you guys can advise? : Basically the Hard Drive has failed on my mate's G3 iMac - it's the Demin Model 350 GHZ Processor, 7 Gig Hard Drive.

The Hard Drive can be changed relatively easily. What I'm planning on doing is buying a "new" Hard Drive" recovered from an old G3 iMac with OS9 on.

I intend to update from OS9 to Jaguar 10.2 or Panther 10.3 as I've the install discs.

The plan is to buy 3.5 "External Hard Drive Caddy and USB it up to my Intel Late 2006 5,2 iMac .

I believe there's different types of Partitioning for Intel and Power PC Macs, if I tried to install Panther or Jaguar from the Intel to the external Hard Drive, a red mark would appear on the External Hard Drive Volume and installation would be impossible.

Apparently you can get round this by Partitioning as GUID in the Intel's Disc Utility on the External Hard Drive. Then apparently ! - you'd be able to install ? Panther or Jaguar on said drive.

What I need to know is that if once Panther or Jaguar is installed on the External, would it work on the G3 Power PC ; once it's been taken out of the Caddy and put into the G3 iMac?

I'm told that there's no issues when you swap external drives between Power PC & Intel Macs but I need to know if there's issues with NOW Internal Hard Drives.

Many thanks for your time. I hope I've explained this properly ? >
nikkymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Appleart
Triple-A Player

There is no problem using data from a GUID external on a PPC Mac, the problem is that a G3 (or any PPC system) will only boot from an Apple Partition Map.

You should be able to format in an APM and still install OSX however.

Although if it doesn't let you do that, why don't you just put it in your friend's G3 and do the installation from there?

Either way, it needs to be APM to boot the G3.

Last edited by Appleart; 03-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Appleart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
nikkymat
Prospect

Thanks for that ! - Apple Partition Map , the very important bit .

The reason why I thought that it would be better to install OSX myself , is that I think ! , I know some ways to make space on a small Hard Drive with a OSX installation , as I originally installed 10.2 Jaguar on it .
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Appleart
Triple-A Player

If you are referring to wiping the disc before installing OSX, then that can still be done from the G3.

If you have some other method of shrinking the OS installation, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Appleart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
nikkymat
Prospect

On that G3 iMac - to set it up for Matt - I used Monolingual to get rid of surplus languages , basically I got rid of everything that was OS 9 .2 .2 in Application Support , the icons were totally different , I went into Library on the Hard Drive and got rid of certain receipts , got rid of user pictures and some screen savers - even certain foreign fonts which could be risky . There was some modem scripts and Printer Drivers that got trashed too .

It was pretty laborious but all the MB's saved here and there did add up .

I think ? I got Jaguar down from 3.84 or 4.16 gig something to 2.7 gig , one reason was that there would be very little space left ; the other was to put apps on that'd be "useful" like Abeword , Lime Wire , Adobe Flash and Reader etc - put Onyx on to do automated maintenance etc .

I do remember getting the Apps for Power PC on the Intel and putting them on CD to install on the G3 , as the iMac could be too slow for me . It was originally mine but it was the thing that turned me onto Mac's .

I learnt Computers on slow , underpowered College Pentium 4 PC's that'd take 10 minutes to boot up and five minutes to shut down with 15" CRT screens . We used Floppy Discs 1.44 MB . I absolutely hated Windows XP & IE 6 with a passion .

My tutor laughed when he heard I'd bought the Intel .

App Trap is a good app to trash unwanted apps to move associated files to the trash .

Matt's lodger who was quite a PC techie with the latest gear , said that the iMac was well set up app wise & perfectly adequate for a beginner to surf the net and do emails ; in fact he was never off it - must have been the novelty of the OS ?

There is a shareware app called X Slimmer that trims apps down - the only issue I've had with it , is that previously installed Canon Printer software needed to be reinstalled again .

I'll probably get slated for trashing everything that was OS9 and would open in Classic Mode . It lasted a few years after those mods .

I must admit I'd to cross my fingers a few times , and wouldn't dare try anything remotely like that in Windows , and certainly not touch the Registry .

Anyway thanks for your responses Gentlemen , and Yes ; it would be best to do a straight install on the G3's hard drive once installed .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: