Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
WanderingOak
Banned

HP Help Files

I just purchased a new HP Officejet 6500 E709n printer. Aside from a few issues, the printer works pretty well. However, for some reason, the help viewer on my Mac can not view the documentation that HP's driver installer put on my machine. For example, I get the following error message on my computer when I try to figure out how to change the ink cartridges:
Quote:
Help Viewer does not know how to handle the selected URL. The selected URL is: file:///Library/Documentation/Help/Hewlett-Packard/Context_Help/OJ_6500-E709/c_PRINT_CARTRIDGES

The selected file is a Unix executable, and the help viewer can not read it. It will open fine with TextEdit however. It is supposed to automatically come up in the help viewer when prompted to by the menus on the printer.

I can't find any information on HP's website on this issue, and their online chat system only supports Windows. I've already tried updating my HP drivers, and just ran Software Update a few days ago. The HP PhotoSmart studio has the exact same problem accessing the help files. Has anybody else had this problem before, or have any ideas on how to fix it?
WanderingOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Snow Leopard has altered the way that file-typing works. If these are .html files, then they should have .html extensions.

How do you access the help files? Can you navigate to the Help folder and open the files in a browser? Do all links fail?
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
WanderingOak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
Snow Leopard has altered the way that file-typing works. If these are .html files, then they should have .html extensions.

I'm running Leopard (10.5.8). There doesn't seem to be any file extensions for the HP help files. Adding .html does seem to allow the help viewer to read them. However, I have a feeling that any time the drivers update, they will wind up changing back. Unless, of course, HP gets their act together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
How do you access the help files? Can you navigate to the Help folder and open the files in a browser? Do all links fail?

Until I changed the extension, the only way that I could access the HP help files is through the finder or terminal. Unmodified, they do open in Firefox, and the links work.
WanderingOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: