Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
johngpt
MVP

internal burner not recognizing verbatim DVD-R discs

I decided I'd back up photos to DVD, something I do at semi-regular intervals. I'd last done it a few months ago.

I've always used my 2007 mbp's internal burner. I was surprised when Toast 7 Basic, the app I've used for the past couple years wouldn't recognize the verbatim DVD-R discs I've always used. The discs would be spat out with Toast saying "no disc." If I don't have Toast 7 Basic open and insert the discs, they would again be spat out without the customary dialog box showing, that would ask me whether I'd like to open Finder, iDVD, Disk Utility, etc.

If I utilize my external LaCie dvd burner, those very same DVD-R discs are recognized without problem. The burning goes without problem, and later the burned discs when inserted into the internal drive are seen and the files can be copied to the mbp hard drive.

I tried inserting other DVD-R discs into the internal drive, and the Sony discs are recognized. Verbatim DVD+R dual layer discs are recognized. And Verbatim CD-R discs burn fine on the internal burner.

Only Verbatim DVD-R discs (from two different batches) aren't recognized. And these are the ones I've used previously. They aren't new batches of the same brand. These are blanks from previously opened and used spindles. And they can be burned from the external LaCie burner.

I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight as to why my internal burner would suddenly not recognize the DVD-R discs that had been fine when last utilized a few months ago.

I have done two things to my system. On 10 January I replaced my single 1GB RAM stick with a matched pair of 1GB sticks from Crucial. I hadn't used the internal burner since then.

A few days ago I updated to iTunes whatever the latest version is.

That's all I can think of that I've done to my system, running 10.4.11, since last I've used the internal burner to back up onto Verbatim DVD-R discs.

This morning from the install disc, I ran Repair Disk. It went fine, but didn't have an influence over the problem. Because the external burner does fine, and because the internal burner recognizes Sony DVD-R and Verbatim DVD+R dual layer discs and Verbatim CD-R discs, I don't think it's likely that it's a system problem.

From System Profiler:
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA:

Firmware Revision: AE39
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

and:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.12f5
Serial Number: W87080BGW0G
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I'm considering putting back the single 1GB Ram stick that I'd replaced on 10 January to see if that might influence the problem.

But if someone has any ideas I'd be up for hearing them!

My Flickr
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Verbatim should be a good, reliable disk to use.
But, your internal burner may be getting unreliable. Try using a drive cleaning disk.
If that doesn't help, you already know that another brand of DVD-R does work, so that's a good work-around.
Although unlikely to help in this case - you may have a software issue, and you can try downloading and installing the 10.4.11 combo updater.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL172
That won't harm the rest of your system and if it does help - then that's great. It's more likely to help than changing your RAM.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
trevor

It is common that one brand of discs does not work in one brand of optical drive mechanism, probably due to varying sensitivities of the discs' dye layer to the frequency of the laser in that particular brand of optical drive mechanism. It is most assuredly NOT because there is a problem with that brand of discs--they work fine in other brands of optical drive.

Just find another brand of discs that DOES work and go on with your life.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
johngpt
MVP

DeltaMac, Trevor, thank you gentlemen. I'm glad that the Verbatim DVD-R discs work on the external burner, as I've a few left from the older 100 disc spindle, and about 95 left on the newer 100 disc spindle!

My thoughts were also that the internal burner might be getting squirrelly. My googling at large and searching here at the forum hadn't shown up anything that would indicate that my changing RAM or updating iTunes would suddenly alter the internal burner's ability to read the Verbatim DVD-R discs.

Thank you again for your time.

My Flickr
johngpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: