Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
fusuma
Prospect

How do I reinstall the OS X Installer app

The Installer app is missing from my Utilities and I don't have any system install disks.

As a temporary solution, I located an OS X 10.4.1 Update .DMG archive, from which I have extracted the Installer.app -- using Pacifist. The Installer.app doesn't open. Any advice on getting the Installer running correctly? Should Pacifist have extracted other files to the system?

I've run a few tasks (e.g., system prebinding) but to no avail.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

(Running OS X 10.4.11 on PowerBook G4.)
fusuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
capitalj
All Star

No backups to restore from? Is the update DMG you have the 10.4.11 combo update for PPC? Have you tried the full update instead of extracting just Installer?

If you can't track down your install disks, you should consider buying used retail disks from a reputable source.
capitalj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
chabig
Hall of Famer

The Installer doesn't belong in Utilities, so maybe that's why you don't see it there! It's part of the system software and lives at /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
fusuma
Prospect

Thank you for link capitalj. =)

Staying on topic, I discovered OS X has a command line installer in /user/sbin, which has enabled me to both run the combo update package, and the .PKG file that I wanted to install originally (with Installer).

For anybody who is perhaps unaware of this feature, I ran something similar to the following (with administrator privileges), in the Terminal window:
e.g., installer -pkg Adobe Flash Player -target /

The combo did reinstall Installer.app (and a few more missing Utilities), but the application still will not launch without quitting immediately. I'm happy with the command line option until I acquire installation disks, but I still have no idea why the Installer utility doesn't run.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
capitalj
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig
The Installer doesn't belong in Utilities, so maybe that's why you don't see it there! It's part of the system software and lives at /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app

It is in Utilities in Tiger
capitalj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
fusuma
Prospect

@chabig Just read your reply: I don't see Installer.app in CoreServices. I ran the combo update (recommended by capitalj) on top of my current system, and Installer.app has been installed in Applications/Utilities. Is the combo update incorrect?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
fusuma
Prospect

@capitalj Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
chabig
Hall of Famer

Yes. Thanks.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread