Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
zjoshua
Triple-A Player

Static noise with iTunes

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have been having this trouble for ages: I have a few classical music albums on my iTunes, when playing, has these constant static noise and pauses. But when I play the same files on VLC, it plays well without any glitches. Any reason why?

I have taken one example, the file is

MPEG-4 video file (not sure why it is video)
256 kbps
Extracted with Easy CD-DA Extractor

If I convert it to ACC on iTunes, the static remains, and interestingly now it gets these static noise on VLC too, with the ACC file.

Help pelase
zjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
EatsWithFingers
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjoshua
I have been having this trouble for ages: I have a few classical music albums on my iTunes, when playing, has these constant static noise and pauses. But when I play the same files on VLC, it plays well without any glitches. Any reason why?

I've only ever encountered this issue when the audio files are multi-channel AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) or DTS. iTunes will only play such files correctly if you turn off all the stuff which may modify the sound (equaliser, sound check, etc.). The net result is that the audio will be passed unmodified to your amplifier. However, you will still get "static" unless your amplifier supports AC3/DTS. There's a good chance you also need Perian installed.

The reason why VLC can play the files is that it is capable of outputting AC3/DTS audio through the optical out, whereas iTunes in not (due to licencing issues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjoshua
If I convert it to ACC on iTunes, the static remains, and interestingly now it gets these static noise on VLC too, with the ACC file.

The converted AAC files play "static" because you have converted the encoded AC3/DTS signal (assuming that the above is true).

Finally, I would recommend using XLD for ripping your CDs (or another program which uses the CDParanoia engine).

(however, it seems you are using a Windows PC since Easy CD-DA Extractor is Windows-only)
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
zjoshua
Triple-A Player

Thanks for your suggestions! I solved the problem by labouriously converting the video files to Mp3 files on a PC with an audio converter and then retype all the song info in iTunes.
zjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itunes, static

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: