Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
hsnell
Prospect

installed a new hard drive, getting a question mark screen

i bought a used imac model m6498. it's a g4 i think; the dome 15" model. I was told by a guy at an apple store that he thought the hard drive was failing. I replaced the hard drive and now when I turn the computer on it goes directly to a gray screen with a small file folder image in the middle. The file blinks between a face and a question mark. The cursor does not show up on this screen. I have tried booting from the gray iMac OS 9 and OS 10 restore CDs with no reaction. I even got it to boot via target USB to an old ibook--the iMac showed the target screen but the ibook did not show it as an external drive like I thought it should. Other than that, I don't know what to do. Does this sound like a common problem? If I fried the motherboard, it wouldn't turn on, would it? Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.
hsnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

The file folder is normal for a new drive - you need to format the new drive and install an OS. Describe what you did in more detail.

When you inserted the OSX restore CD, held down "C" and pushed the power button, what happened? (remember that booting from CD is slow, and you need to hold C at least until you see the Apple logo on the screen.)

There is no such thing as "Target USB" - it's Firewire. The machine showed the yellow icon on the screen, you connected it to another mac with a firewire cable but nothing happened?
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
hsnell
Prospect

Nothing happened with the CD, the machine sounded like it was revving up to do something but still went to the screen with the file. I held the C button from as soon as I heard the chime until that point.

I know there's no such thing as target USB--I wanted to do target firewire but was not at home and did not have a firewire cable handy, so I tried with a USB cord just for kicks. The iMac still showed the target firewire screen with the yellow icon bouncing around, but the iBook did not recognize it. I realize this could be because of the USB; I was trying to make it clear that I didn't do the target normally (or possibly correctly) although I still got a response.

From some other things I've read on here, I'm wondering if my CDs are the wrong ones for something like this. They say iMac, but some other things I've read are making me think perhaps I need the black INSTALL DVDs with the silver X's. Will restore discs work, or do I need actual install discs due to the fact that this is a brand-new hard drive?
hsnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Of course the restore discs will work - what you've probably read is that they only work for one particular model but they will still boot any Mac - you get a notice early in the install process saying it's the wrong model.

I'm curious - how did you connect two Macs with a USB cable? The ends aren't compatible.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
macosnoob
MVP

Did the iMac boot properly before you started working on it? If not, what did it do? Have you tried putting the original drive back in the iMac?

Those "dome" iMacs are particularly tricky to work on. Google this forum for several discussions:

iMac thermal paste base site:macosxhints.com

By the way, if it's truly the M6498, that should be a 17" screen (according to MacTracker), not the 15". Where are you getting the model number from--the side of the dome?

More MacTracker info for the M6498: shipped with OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2 (depending on the day it rolled off the assembly line).
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnell
The iMac still showed the target firewire screen with the yellow icon bouncing around, but the iBook did not recognize it. I realize this could be because of the USB; I was trying to make it clear that I didn't do the target normally (or possibly correctly) although I still got a response.

The response was because the iMac (or whatever computer you booted while holding down the 'T' key) was in FireWire Target Disk Mode. The computer being in that mode doesn't depend on having a FireWire cable connected to that computer.

The reason that you couldn't connect to it from another computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, is, of course, because you weren't connected over a FireWire cable. But the computer was correctly in FWTDM.

Quote:
I have tried booting from the gray iMac OS 9 and OS 10 restore CDs with no reaction.

Quote:
They say iMac, but some other things I've read are making me think perhaps I need the black INSTALL DVDs with the silver X's. Will restore discs work, or do I need actual install discs due to the fact that this is a brand-new hard drive?

Exactly, precisely which iMac G4 15" is this? What is it's processor speed? What are any other distinguishing characteristics, such as when it was purchased new?

Exactly, precisely what does it say on the face of the Restore Discs? Please be exhaustingly complete with this answer--if possible, a picture would be perfect.

The short answer to your question is that the Restore Discs that shipped with this exact model of iMac will work just fine. The Restore Discs that shipped with any other model of iMac will not work, and you must use a (black-colored) Retail Install disc.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
berninvegas

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
The response was because the iMac (or whatever computer you booted while holding down the 'T' key) was in FireWire Target Disk Mode. The computer being in that mode doesn't depend on having a FireWire cable connected to that computer.

The reason that you couldn't connect to it from another computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, is, of course, because you weren't connected over a FireWire cable. But the computer was correctly in FWTDM.

Exactly, precisely which iMac G4 15" is this? What is it's processor speed? What are any other distinguishing characteristics, such as when it was purchased new?

Exactly, precisely what does it say on the face of the Restore Discs? Please be exhaustingly complete with this answer--if possible, a picture would be perfect.

The short answer to your question is that the Restore Discs that shipped with this exact model of iMac will work just fine. The Restore Discs that shipped with any other model of iMac will not work, and you must use a (black-colored) Retail Install disc.

Trevor

thanks been trying different disk and i was thinking it was my hdd and dvd config (slave master cable select) i will get the black disk from previous owner. I tried the grey disk from mac mini and osx it would spit them out

Tags
boot, internal hard drive, motherboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: