Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
DasBoot
Prospect

Unhappy Disk Utility or Disk Warrior can't unmount disk.

Disk Utility stopped repairing.Error: Could not unmount disk.
This disk is a external drive WD firewire. Mount Point : /Volumes/ferns 08 Capacity : 319.94 GB (319,937,773,568 Bytes)
Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 292.33 GB (292,332,261,376 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No Used : 27.61 GB (27,605,512,192 Bytes)
Number of Folders : 15,022 Number of Files : 65,131
The problem.I first got this drive last year brand new and i used it to back up my beloved but sick display, 6 yr old PB G4 .i just dragged and dropped the files, documents , folder, photos, and aplications on that drive, i think i formatted first don't recall now.But i did check the contents and where good. Now i have a mac book pro and i plug it in and it show as empty on finder no files. when i try to eject it says the disk ferns 08 wasnt ejected because one or more programs may be using it. i try to use my disk warrior on it but it said Could not unmount disk. Thanks in advance for any and every help i could get!
DasBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

I suspect that the inability to unmount might be due to Spotlight indexing being in progress on that disk. So you could try disabling Spotlight for that disk.

Note that Disk Warrior recommends that you boot from the Disk Warrior CD in order to do filesystem repairs. That would avoid the problem
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
ridogi
Prospect

If it isn't your startup disk you should be able to run DiskWarrior on it without booting from the CD. Make sure your DiskWarrior is up to date of course.

Also, you can see what is in use on the drive by typing this in terminal:

lsof | grep
then type a space
then drag the Drive from the desktop onto terminal
It will look something like:
lsof | grep /Volumes/ferns\ 08/
then hit return.

That is assuming the drive name is "ferns 08" which it looks like from your post. You'll notice if there is a space in the name of the drive you will need a \ before the space.

On the right are the files that are open, and on the left is the process or application that they are open in.
ridogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
DasBoot
Prospect

Unhappy Das Boot sick drive

Turn off spotlight on preference panel for the main drive and the external drive ferns 08.
Try the command nothing happen.
Try the disk warrior 4.2 from the aplicattion folder it gives this message
The directory disk ferns 08 cannot be rebuilt. the disk still in use.Quit all other applications,or restart form dislk warrior. error code 2153,4903.
I boot from CD DW and selected ferns 08 to rebuild, as soon it starts it freeze up on and nothing happen ,let that run for 2 hrs nothing worked.
OMG.I'm doomed?!
Tks for any other suggestions???
Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
ridogi
Prospect

Can you not boot from the cd or is the problem that once you boot from the cd the DiskWarrior application doesn't open?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
DasBoot
Prospect

Unhappy Disk warrior cannot unmount drive

It boot ok from CD and it see the ferns 08 drive.
But when i click repair disk it says it cannot unmount the disk.
like the i posted in the first thread.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

Are you sure that you are booting from the Disk Warrior CD - not merely mounting the CD (by inserting it)?
To boot from a CD, you insert the CD, then restart your Mac and hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup chime.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
DasBoot
Prospect

Talking Can you read the post above???Give good advise not no nonsense!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Are you sure that you are booting from the Disk Warrior CD - not merely mounting the CD (by inserting it)?
To boot from a CD, you insert the CD, then restart your Mac and hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup chime.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
ridogi
Prospect

Well, what happens if you run the lsof command in terminal while booted from the CD?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
trevor

In post entitled, "Can you read the post above???Give good advise not no nonsense!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoot

DasBoot, please be civil. hayne's question was reasonable. He is just trying to make absolutely sure that what you said in the previous post was correct, that you had booted from the DiskWarrior disc, not just inserted it into the computer while booted to the hard drive and run DiskWarrior from the disc. Some people don't really know what it means to be booted from a CD or DVD, so asking you to verify that is not at all nonsensical.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoot
It boot ok from CD and it see the ferns 08 drive.
But when i click repair disk it says it cannot unmount the disk.

It is especially strange that you get that message about not being able to unmount the disk if you are booted from the Disk Warrior CD. (Hence my question in previous post.)

And you say you clicked on "repair disk" - is that the exact wording on the button you clicked on?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: