Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > UNIX - General

Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
manu chao
Triple-A Player

fsaclctl - dis/enable ACL - how is this done in Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard does not ship with fsaclctl. Is there another way to disable or enable access control lists?
manu chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
manu chao
Triple-A Player

I have seen suggestions to copy fsaclctl from a Leopard system. This does work in the sense that it runs without errors but I did not yet try it out on any actual file containing ACL.
bresink.com clearly states that is no longer possible in Snow Leopard to switch ACL off:
Quote:
Note: This feature is not available in Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Version 10.6 of the operating system no longer allows that support for Access Control Lists can be switched off on volumes which are capable of storing ACLs.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/300321023...n/pgs/ACL.html
There might always be the option of running fsaclctl from a Leopard installation. Whether this actually works for a folder/file whose ACL were set by Snow Leopard, I do not know.
manu chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
dr3do

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu chao
I have seen suggestions to copy fsaclctl from a Leopard system. This does work in the sense that it runs without errors but I did not yet try it out on any actual file containing ACL. Whether this actually works for a folder/file whose ACL were set by Snow Leopard, I do not know.

I tried it out. Copied /usr/sbin/fsaclctl from a 10.5 system to a 10.6 system to same location. IMHO could use it without restrictions on several drives, e.g. to reconnect a Time Machine backup after drive swap.
dr3do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
jerrykrinock

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3do
Copied /usr/sbin/fsaclctl from a 10.5 system to a 10.6 system to same location.

As an app developer, having been burned by ACLs once, I use the homeACLtool script written by "Hal Itosis" (), once a month or so, to make sure that none of the files I ship have nonstandard ACLs. With Snow Leopard, the homeACLtool failed. So I copied fsaclctl as suggested by manu chao, and it seemed to work. Actually, it even found a file that had a nonstandard ACL, something it hasn't done in a year or so.

Jerry Krinock

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: