Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
paulrud
Prospect

Forcing borderless printing on hp printer?

Hey all,

I have a clunky HP Officejet 6310 all-in-one that permits borderless printing on some sizes of paper. I want to be able to print borderlessly on 3x5 cards, but normally the printer refuses to do itóborderless printing not available for that size paper.

However, I use an application called iNotepad that has a margins preference pane which seems to override everything else. I can set margins to zero if I want and the printer will obey, even with 3x5 cards.

My question is how to accomplish this when printing from other apps. Obviously iNotepad has some trick up its sleeve. I've tried setting a custom page size and zero margins (printer adds its own margins). I've tried editing the printer definitions file to add a borderless 3x5 entry with zero margins, but the option doesn't appear in the drop down menus so isn't selectable.

Any ideas? I'd be grateful.

Paul
paulrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
paulrud
Prospect

Still wondering about this one.... Any ideas or pointers anyone?

Paul
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
blinkintosser
Prospect

(I have no experience with your printer, but since no one else has replied, I can do no worse.)

Posted by paulrud:
>I've tried editing the printer definitions file to add a borderless 3x5 entry with zero margins, but the option doesn't appear in the drop down menus so isn't selectable.

I'm not sure if, by "printer definitions file", you're referring to a PostScript Printer Definition (PPD), so I'll describe my findings in that area under Snow Leopard.

There appears to be a PPD for your printer in the path "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Officejet 6300 series.ppd.gz" implying that your printer accepts PostScript and that custom PPD modifications may work. Unpack the .gz file, rename the PPD to indicate it has been customized, and open the PPD in a text editor, looking for the line:

*ImageableArea na-3x5-index/Index card 3x5 in.: "9.00 16.98 207.00 355.02"

and replace it with:

*ImageableArea na-3x5-index/Index card 3x5 in.: "0.00 0.00 216.00 360.00"

Save the file. Now create a new printer using the "Other..." menu item of the "Print Using:" menu in the add printer dialog. Choose the modified PPD from the open file sheet that sweeps down.

With the new custom printer chosen in print dialogs, hovering the cursor over the "Index card 3x5 in." page size in the popped menu (or the page dimensions when the menu is collapsed) should now show a tooltip that affirms 0-inch margins on all 4 sides. Choosing the unmodified 5x8 size, in contrast, shows small yet significant margins.

Unfortunately, I can't perform a test print to see if it works, so my fingers are crossed for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3x5.png
Views:	315
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	3540   Click image for larger version

Name:	5x8.png
Views:	252
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	3541  
blinkintosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
paulrud
Prospect

blinkintosser,

thanks for your reply!

i followed your instructions, but unfortunately it didn't result in a solution. i edited the PPD file and created a "new" printer using it, but the tool-tip over the 3x5 index card option did not show zero margins.

i also tried adding a borderless 3x5 entry by imitating the borderless Hagaki card size entries in the PPD, but my borderless 3x5 entry never showed up in the drop down menus in the print dialog....

if you have any further thoughts, please let me know, and thanks for your time already!

paul
Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
blubbernaut
MVP

Simple question I know, but have you tried selecting a page output size larger than 3x5 and centering output on the page?
blubbernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
blinkintosser
Prospect

It appears that Mac OS X will load printer info from cached data, if available, rather than fresh from the PPD. I gave it another shot on my machine and saw that additional printers (queues) added with further modified copies of the same PPD did not reflect any of the changes. Changing the printer's identity in a last copy of the PPD did, however, cause the printer prefpane to ignore cached data and finally reload the file.

If you're up for another attempt (with the caveat that I still can't guarantee this will actually work for your printer model):
(1) Unpack the "HP Officejet 6300 series.ppd.gz" to reveal the PPD file inside
(2) Rename the PPD "HP Officejet 6310.ppd" to identify the modified version
(3) To prevent reloading from cached info, change the block of text at the top from:
Code:
*Manufacturer: "HP"
*Product: "(HP Officejet 6300 series)"
*Product: "(HP Officejet 6300 series_BT)"
*Product: "(Officejet 6300 series)"
*Product: "(Officejet 6300 series_BT)"
*HPProductName: "Officejet_6300_series"
*ModelName: "HP Officejet 6300 series"
*NickName: "HP Officejet 6300 series"
*ShortNickName: "Officejet 6300 series"
*HPPrinterFile: "Printers/officejet_6300_series.xml"
*HPSettingsCache: "Settings/Officejet_6300_series.jtz"
to:
Code:
*Manufacturer: "HP"
*Product: "(HP Officejet 6310)"
*HPProductName: "Officejet_6310"
*ModelName: "HP Officejet 6310"
*NickName: "HP Officejet 6310"
*ShortNickName: "Officejet 6310"
*HPPrinterFile: "Printers/officejet_6300_series.xml"
*HPSettingsCache: "Settings/Officejet_6300_series.jtz"
(4) To allow borderless custom page sizes, change the line from:
Code:
*HWMargins: 18.00 16.98 18.00 4.98
to:
Code:
*HWMargins: 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
(5) And, lastly, to change 3x5 to borderless, change the line from:
Code:
*ImageableArea na-3x5-index/Index card 3x5 in.: "9.00 16.98 207.00 355.02"
to:
Code:
*ImageableArea na-3x5-index/Index card 3x5 in.: "0.00 0.00 216.00 360.00"
(6) Add a new printer (queue) with this PPD as described in the previous post

I've also attached a zip of the PPD with all the above modifications and all non-english languages stripped out to cut the size down.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Custom HP Officejet 6310.ppd.zip (15.4 KB, 134 views)
blinkintosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
paulrud
Prospect

to all who replied, I apologize for not replying with how the changes went. I appreciate your advice!

Finally got round to doing it today, and unfortunately no luck. The "borderless printing" checkbox is still unchecked and grayed out for the 3x5 card size, and the printer still prints with default margins...

Quote:
Simple question I know, but have you tried selecting a page output size larger than 3x5 and centering output on the page?

blubbernaut, I'm not sure how I could do what you suggested without attempting to center the 3x5 card in the paper feed.... possible that way i guess, but not very accurate... any further thoughts on that route?

thanks again for your advice and time!

paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: