Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Bob5545
All Star

MacMoney 4.02.11 Issues

I have been using this software since 1989 and have financial files and records dating back to that year. This program was built by Survivor Software to run using Mac OS 9 or Mac Classic under OS 10 on a PPC Mac.

My question is that the new Intel processor Macs do not run classic so what am I to do with all my accounting files. Currently I am using an old Mac to run the program, but someday, sometime that Mac will die.

This program was and still is a very good home accounting application. What are the new Intel Mac programs that do a good job on personal accounting and finance management, and how do I convert these MacMoney data files.

Anyone have any ideas?
Bob5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
chscag
Prospect

Most current OS X money manager programs will accept data input in the QIF format. If your MacMoney program can export in that format you should be able to carry over your all your data to the new program.

I was a MS Money user in Windows for many years. I exported my data to QIF and was able to import into "Checkbook 2" an OS X money manager program. No data lost.

Your mileage may vary though....

Regards.
chscag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Flipp
Prospect

Migrating from MacMoney

Bob5545,

I've been using MacMoney since about 1991, and like you want to move to a current generation product but retain my data. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience. I still have a perfectly serviceable 2nd-generation mirror-door dual G4, but although I have dual-boot tiger/leopard, I hardly ever use leopard as there is no OS9 support. Purely because of this one program.

I've looked at various products but although just about any of the current crop look good, and many do at least some things better than MacMoney, none seem to get everything right. Handling split transactions seems to be a problem with many.

I've had problems importing from MacMoney in several packages. And MacMoney itself doesn't make the "item memo" field available in the reports in unsplit transactions; unfortunately I have used this field rather than the memo field rather often.

So if you have managed to do it, I'd really appreciate some tips on what works and what doesn't.

Flipp
Flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Bob5545
All Star

MacMoney

I have been using MacMoney since 1987, and have data files back to that time.

I use it to keep track of all my personal finance information.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to transfer these files to another personal finance program. I think the best you can do is load them into an Excel file.

There seems to be a real deficiency in personal finance programs for the Mac. They just don't exist.

I have spoken with Mike Farmer the developer of the product (Survivor Software <survivorsf@mac.com>) about this issue, and rebuilding damaged MacMoney data bases. So I have the rebuild data file instructions if you need them.

I would suggest you email him with your comments, and encourage him to update the product for Intel based Mac's with more data portability feature and function.

He told me he was thinking about redoing the product, but was not sure he could recover his investment.

I believe there are still a lot of users that would support his efforts.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Flipp
Prospect

MacMoney

I have had correspondence on-and-off with Mike Farmer, but in the last email I received (more than a year ago, I think) he said he was semi-retired, and I didn't get the impression that updating the product was on his to-do list. In fact, as i understood the product was effectively defunct, I had thought about asking Mike if he would release the source code so I could have a go at migrating it to the current OS, but it seemed rather presumptious, and although I do a bit of programming, tackling a full commercial-size application is way beyond anything I've ever undertaken. And never under Mac OS.

There are plenty of personal finance applications around (over half-a-dozen in a recent MacFormat (UK) issue), but all have deficiencies from my point of view. Of course, so does MacMoney, but I am used to them and they don't bother me. I do think an update to MacMoney would involve a complete rewrite: its heritage as a 1-year database, with 7 separate files size limited to fit on a floppy disk is rather clunky, and would be untenable in a new product.

I still hope to transfer my MacMoney data to a new product; one of the competing products' support pages published an awk script to massage a MacMoney report into a .QIF file (as MacMoney imports but doesn't export to QIF), which could then be imported to the new app. Unfortunately, it doesn't cope well with MacMoney's multi-level categories. I have taught myself a bit of awk and I was getting close to a version of the script that would do everything I wanted, but the import into my preferred new product had quirks (like recreating a "new" category with the same name each time it encountered it in the QIF tile; it expects the QIF to be sorted so each source category only appears once). This was about 3 months ago, and I haven't touched it again (too busy at work). Also, I would need to go through my old MacMoney files and move the item memos to the memos to preserve this data. That would probably take quite a while.

For now, I'm still using MacMoney. Its chequebook user interface really appeals over the current bunch of spreadsheet-style presentation products.

One other suggestion for you: if your old Mac dies, there is an emulator (free, I think open source) for old Macs call SheepShaver, which may allow you to continue using old applications. I've installed it with my old OS9 system as its OS, but it is unstable. I suspect it may be OK though if I do a clean but minimal install of the system to the emulator: no extensions, no extra control panels, only MacMoney and a pdf printer driver for the reports. But again I haven't pursued it due to pressure of other commitments.

I wonder if we are the last two people on earth who are still using MacMoney? Is there anybody else out there?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Bob5545
All Star

MacMoney Replacement

Did you ever select a replacement for MacMoney for Intel based Mac's?

If so what did you do with all your MacMoney history files?

I am still using MacMoney on my G5 but am thinking about what to do next.

I love the transaction check book type interface and the ledger flexibility of the product.

Ideas,

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Flipp
Prospect

Hi Bob,
No, like you I am still carrying on with MacMoney, and so I'm still living in Tiger country. I've changed how I make some entries (use Memo in preference to Item Memo in unsplit transactions) to facilitate a later export of a text-file MM report so I have can preserve the data I want into whatever new program I use, but I haven't done anything more about actually migrating.

I played about with a few others; most have spreadsheet-style data entry, but I found that it made it very easy to make unintended changes to existing transactions. I think that was iBank, but maybe not - it was a while ago now. The MacMoney approach of opening a new window to actually edit the transaction makes that much more unlikely.

I'll probably get a bee in my bonnet about it again in a few months, and have another go at finding something newer and better. But on many of the newer products' user forums, there are complaints like weeks or months of no response to bug reports, or issues of lost or corrupted data. I have never had a lost or corrupted data file in nearly 20 years with MacMoney, and I typically leave it running for days on end, with occasional OS crashes (under old OS 7, 8, 9) and power failures (all OS versions). Even as I type this, it is running and has been for a couple of days. For all its quirks (like it can get its reconciliation totals wrong if you do new data entry while the reconciliation window is open - just close and open it again), it is a truly reliable piece of software. I rather fear that whatever I choose will be slicker-looking, and do a few more things (which maybe I don't need), but may not be as solid a piece of software as MM. I'd really love to see it updated for OS X.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Bob5545
All Star

Survivor Software <survivorsf@mac.com>

Here is Mike Farmer's email. He is using PocketMoney.

Bob --

There is a new application that is available in the Apple App store called PocketMoney that looks promising. I have been using the mobile version for years going back to my Apple Newton. I have been using it for several years on my iPhone with no major problems. The author is very responsive to making repairs and adding new features.

Mike ...
Survivor Software Ltd.
http://www.survivorsoftware.com/

Send him an email asking to do MacMoney for Mac OS X. I would buy it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Flipp
Prospect

Done!

So now he's got two certain sales (I mentioned you in the email, so he knows it too!)

What more could he need? It should be out next month!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
Denny

Smile MacMoney

Bob and Flip, I too am a MacMoney user and have been since it first came out. I am using it on a backup older computer running OS 9.2. You can add my name to the buy list if it is ever updated to OS X.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Flipp
Prospect

So that makes 3 of us! Mike, you're on a winner, time for the rewrite!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
abe75

MacMoney

He's got one more sale!
I have used MacMoney I think since it came out.
In addition to my financial records and reports, I need a program that prints checks.

I have been unable to find anything that can replace it.

Abe75
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Bob5545
All Star

Happy New Year,

I just started by 25th year using MacMoney.

However, I am now looking at moving to a Lion Mac because application support for Mac OS X 10.4.11 is starting to disappear for a lot of the application I use, like Firefox.

So I am looking at dumping the G4 for a iMac and I want to add a finance program to replace MacMoney. It looks like Mike is not going to redo the program.

Has anyone recently re-looked at the Finance Programs for Intel Macs. I was looking at iBank4. What are your folks thoughts. Does iBank4 support split transactions? Does it use a check book type interface to drive transactions.

Are there any other that I should consider? I have 25 years of financial data in MacMoney files so I need a plan for them.

I intend to keep my Mac Pro G5 so I can use this machine as a backup, but it might be time to move on.

Whats are the MacMoney folks thought?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
chabig
Hall of Famer

I've been using See Finance since last spring, and it's good so far.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Flipp
Prospect

Hi Bob,

Just logged on after some months. I started an extended trial of PocketMoney early last year, where I started duplicating my existing transactions from MacMoney into PM desktop. I got my bank accounts done, and noticed that I had 14 monthly pays for the year. Hmmm. I turned out that PM had a bug that didn't cope well with edits to split transactions, and doubled some elements of it - unlike MM, it isn't a dual-entry accounting program, so it took my eyes to notice that things didn't balance. But the whole reason for having the computer program is so that IT does this drudge work. I had other problems with it as well, and while their tech support eventually sorted those out, I simply lost confidence with the software.

The thing that scared me about this is that I use MacMoney, and if adopted would use PocketMoney, for my tax records. I just take the reports to my accountant at tax time. I can't have software that I can't trust, and with a full year's transactions I would not be likely to pick up less egregious errors.

So I too am still looking for a viable alternative. It always seems to come to a head about this time of year, a few months before the start of the new tax year.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Bob5545
All Star

I still use MacMoney Screen sharing with an Lion iMac with my G5. I looked at iBank and it just seemed to complicated. I am not sure what to do regarding personal finance apps.

I also looked at Quicken but review were not so good.

If someone has suggestions let us all know.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
MacBook
Prospect

CheckBook

I am using CheckBook by Splasm Software. It is $14.99 and I like its simplicity but effectiveness. There is a "pro" edition as well, so it depends what you need. The trial for the regular one is at http://www.splasm.com/checkbook/
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Bob5545
All Star

Thanks,

I will give it a look.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: