Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
LCPGUY
Prospect

Snow Leopard and QuickLook

I get the following error numerous times per day after installing Snow Leopard. No pattern. Just occurs randomly.

9/2/09 10:32:06 PM Finder[4054] [QL] quicklookd unexpectedly quitted while thumbnailing /Volumes/MyVideos/Beach.flv

The volumes and file names vary. Just clicking on one can cause this error. Other time it will happen when just watching the video. Other times it will occur when clicking on a folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

iMac 4GB, 2.16Ghz
LCPGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
NovaScotian
League Commissioner

While this may be a Snow Leopard problem too, I have the same problem in 10.5.8 on a G5/2.3, so I think it's an old one.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Josiah Robertson
Prospect

If I can recommend something, prob not what you want to do, but you might want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? Because I have found it better to do a clean install.
Josiah Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
dianeross
All Star

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or
if itís your Userís folder that contains the problem.

If the problem exists in the new User, then you need to look at your Snow Leopard install.
OfficeforMacHelp
Need Help for Mac
dianeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
ambrose
Triple-A Player

Maybe ...

I know of two possible causes.

I see from the log entry you provided that the movie was on an external hard drive. By any chance, do you generally use an external drive in combination with Front Row to watch videos? In Sno, Front Row will grab a video off an external drive, put a 'file-busy' lock on it and try to play it before QL can generate a preview for Front Row's cover flow. Bye-bye, QL Server.

The second, and more commonly experienced, situation arises from Snow Leopard's Quick Look server not playing as well as its predecessor did with Quick Look plug-ins from second-parties. Mind you, Leopard 10.5.8 had the exact same problem,
but since it didn't insist on its Framework plug-ins having nice, clean 64-bit code, it didn't have it as often.

Let's go hunting. In Terminal.app, enter:
Code:
qlmanage -r
to reset the Quick Look generators. Then, enter
Code:
qlmanage -m
to get a list of them. Look through the list for any .qtgenerators that aren't from Apple (they start with "com.apple.") or aren't open standards ("public.") There are bound to be some, and you might consider visiting the publishers' websites to determine if there are any known conflicts with Sno. If you wish, you could try a harmless experiment first:
Code:
qlmanage -p /Volumes/MyVideos/Beach.flv
-- or the path for any video you know will give you trouble, in order to see if anyone chokes on it. Finding a culprit right away would save you time going through the list, but a conflict may easily exist and yet not have the Quick Look manager reveal it. You might try using the search box in the Console.app to search through your system logs for [QT ERROR]. That would be a giveaway, too, as the miscreant's name would appear on the same line as your search string.

In the meantime, go to the Finder and select column view. Select something harmless, like a text or PDF file, and click on the little gray disclosure triangle above and to the left of its thumbnail icon. That will turn off the thumbnail creation process for all the files you look at in column mode, and could help (maybe -- maybe a little) if an unhealthy QL generator is the culprit.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, send me an e-mail. I don't come around that often. In fact, this is only my second post in .. let's see .. six years.

Last edited by ambrose; 09-08-2009 at 05:29 AM.
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
mnewman
MVP

Does this tell you anything?

Code:
Bleach:~ mnewman$ qlmanage -p "/Volumes/Video/TV Shows/Bones.S05E02.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi"
Testing Quick Look preview with files:
	/Volumes/Video/TV Shows/Bones.S05E02.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi
Segmentation fault
If it were a rogue qlgenerator then wouldn't the error happen for every user? In my case, it quicklookd only crashes for me. And, it crashes on files on both the boot and external volumes.

Last edited by mnewman; 09-25-2009 at 03:55 AM.
mnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
mnewman
MVP

This worked for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn from Apple
Delete this file.

com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist

~/Library/Preferences. Move that file to the Trash and restart your Mac.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
mnewman
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
This worked for me:

But now I'm not sure why. I looked at the com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist that I deleted and the one that was created when I logged back in. They appear to be identical, byte for byte.

Code:
Bleach:~ mnewman$ diff /Users/mnewman/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist /Users/mnewman/Desktop/com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist
Bleach:~ mnewman$
The old file's last modification date was 8/31/09, long before I started having the quicklookd crash.

I don't get it.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
NovaScotian
League Commissioner

[OFF TOPIC] Funny how the Thais have extraordinarily long place names and then abbreviate them, e.g., Nakhon Ratchasima --> Korat or Chulalongkorn U seems to be called Chula. I gave a lecture series at Suraneree U. of Tech. many years ago in its early days.[/OFF TOPIC]
Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
mnewman
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotian
[OFF TOPIC] I gave a lecture series at Suraneree U. of Tech. many years ago in its early days.[/OFF TOPIC]

Known locally as Mor Tor Sor, after the Thai letters of it's full name (มทสุ), something like Mahawitalay Technology Suranaree.

Still OT....
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
styledev

Exists in clean install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah Robertson
If I can recommend something, prob not what you want to do, but you might want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? Because I have found it better to do a clean install.

I can confirm that a clean install does not fix this problem. Tried with 10.6 and 10.6.1 with no other software installed.

--
Styledev
styledev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
z1ross

Just to be sure:
Ok on your clean install did you import your profile?? If you did you corrupt your clean install as your profile contains Library files, Pref files and the whole nine yards?

Also go through your /Users/<YOUR-ID>/Library/QuickLook/... folder and report what you have in there. QL plugins in this folder only effect YOUR account.

-BluR
z1ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
ntvinh986

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPGUY
I get the following error numerous times per day after installing Snow Leopard. No pattern. Just occurs randomly.

9/2/09 10:32:06 PM Finder[4054] [QL] quicklookd unexpectedly quitted while thumbnailing /Volumes/MyVideos/Beach.flv

The volumes and file names vary. Just clicking on one can cause this error. Other time it will happen when just watching the video. Other times it will occur when clicking on a folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

iMac 4GB, 2.16Ghz

Many thanks to ur post. I love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: