Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Imacer
Major Leaguer

Unhappy Canon MP980 Printer: how to use less ink?

Anybody have any tips how I can save ink with this printer? It uses to much ink.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Dave Braine
Triple-A Player

Can you adjust the printer settings in the Print dialogue panel?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Vectorm12
Triple-A Player

there are a few easy ways of concerving ink on most printers.

For text and nonphoto/heavy graphics prints buy a cheap highdensity paper. The usual 80g/m^2 paper is quite useless as it allows alot of ink to move around. There are plenty of papers you can buy for a fraction more than the standard which will enable you to save tons on ink.

Once you have a decent highdensity paper have a good long look at the printquality settings. You'll notice that with a highdensity paper you can achive equalent print quality with a lower printing quality as that of poor quality paper and higher print quality.

Second for text only prints where you don't need color be sure to set the printer in monocrome mode as I've found that the printers can mix the more expensive colorinks in order to produce certain shades of black.

Last but not least make sure to run the printer regularly(!) you can save alot of ink by making sure to print something every week to prevent clogging of the nozzels and therefore not having to run cleaning cycles.

What I do is that I have a text document with lines of text reflecting the individual colors of the ink in my printer(in my case 7 lines). If I haven't printed anything in about a week I fire off one of those pages just to make sure there's no ink drying in the nozzels.
Vectorm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Imacer
Major Leaguer

Yes, I can adjust the print settings.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Imacer
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorm12
there are a few easy ways of concerving ink on most printers.

For text and nonphoto/heavy graphics prints buy a cheap highdensity paper. The usual 80g/m^2 paper is quite useless as it allows alot of ink to move around. There are plenty of papers you can buy for a fraction more than the standard which will enable you to save tons on ink.

Once you have a decent highdensity paper have a good long look at the printquality settings. You'll notice that with a highdensity paper you can achive equalent print quality with a lower printing quality as that of poor quality paper and higher print quality.

Second for text only prints where you don't need color be sure to set the printer in monocrome mode as I've found that the printers can mix the more expensive colorinks in order to produce certain shades of black.

Last but not least make sure to run the printer regularly(!) you can save alot of ink by making sure to print something every week to prevent clogging of the nozzels and therefore not having to run cleaning cycles.

What I do is that I have a text document with lines of text reflecting the individual colors of the ink in my printer(in my case 7 lines). If I haven't printed anything in about a week I fire off one of those pages just to make sure there's no ink drying in the nozzels.

what about leaving it on all the time. Because everytime i start it will go through it's alignment head process.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

A head reset would not use any ink. However, if you mean that your printer produces a calibration page each time, then, of course, that would be using ink.
Does your printer produce a test page each time it is turned on?
Do you usually turn the printer off manually? Most printers turn themselves off or standby when idle, for power saving.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Imacer
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
A head reset would not use any ink. However, if you mean that your printer produces a calibration page each time, then, of course, that would be using ink.
Does your printer produce a test page each time it is turned on?
Do you usually turn the printer off manually? Most printers turn themselves off or standby when idle, for power saving.

Does not print a calibration page. When turning it off and on the heads are sliding back and fourth or ink cartidges. Yes i do turn it off manually, when i leave it on it does not turn off when idle. Where that setting be at to turn off when idle for a period of time....
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The print head sliding around during power up - does not indicate that ink is being used, or any calibration. That's just a normal power up reset. Any printer will do that to some extent.
The power saving is likely completely automatic if you leave the printer unused for a few minutes.
Your MP980 is Energy-Star compliant.
Also - http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delFeaturesAct
Are you saying that the display doesn't dim, or completely go out if you leave the printer unused for a few minutes? It's probably a setting on the printer internal menus, if that doesn't happen automatically. Look for something like 'timeout' or 'power-down' - something like that.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: