Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
janet333
Triple-A Player

Data Loss opening newer versions of Adobe Illustrator

Attached are the messages I receive when opening, respectively, an .eps file and a pdf generated by a newer version of Illustrator (sure you know what I'm talking about but I like screen captures). I'm on CS3 still. Exactly what data loss are they referring to in the pdf file, everything appears to be there. I'm just concerned that there could be things you can't see, such as preference settings in the original file that may not translate to an earlier version. When I get this message I usually ask the sender to save down for me is that necessary?
janet333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
janet333
Triple-A Player

attachments

attachment I forgot to attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf.png
Views:	87
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	3420  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
janet333
Triple-A Player

Smile

This is the EPS message, don't know what happened but just uploaded one of my selections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eps.png
Views:	76
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	3421  
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
benwiggy
League Commissioner

You could try opening the EPS in a Text editor, like TextWrangler, and simply change the version level in the header.
The PDF is probably safe to click through and open.

Obviously, every time Adobe releases a new version of PDF (v1.8 at last count) and of CS, they include new bells and whistles. If both documents came from Illustrator, there's a chance that they have used a new feature - but it still should be readable. The real problem is that Adobe has started putting XML chunks inside EPS files. This is mostly to include data that PS can't handle, but the file should still display correctly, even if it doesn't handle all the objects correctly.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
janet333
Triple-A Player

[QUOTE=benwiggy;545376]You could try opening the EPS in a Text editor, like TextWrangler, and simply change the version level in the header.
The PDF is probably safe to click through and open.

I tried changing in Text Wrangler from 14.0 to 13.0.2 and save as. Still didn't work on the .eps unless I'm not doing something correctly. I really don't use Text Wrangler that often. I know there used to be a program called "file info" that you dropped files on and it would allow you to change extensions, say from Quark to AI but I don't know if it allowed you to change versions or not. It might still be around, I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
blubbernaut
MVP

That would be a "coverall" message - same as the message it gives you when you try to downsave a CS3 file to something compatible with earlier versions. It's just in case.

An example would be back when they introduced gradient mesh, downsaving it would mean that the editable mesh would be converted to slices of colour instead - still would print the same, but you could no longer edit it like you could the mesh.
blubbernaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: