Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Capt Jack
Prospect

Formatting clickfree drive to get rid of read-only parition?

Hello all,

I have been given a 320GB clickfree backup USB drive system as a gift. As I use Carbon Copy Cloner and other hardware for my backups, I would like to re-format the clickfree external drive - primarily to free myself from having an annoying extra partition that mounts with the Mac clickfree backup application on it.

The problem is this extra partition (which appears as a disk on the desktop) is seen on the Mac and Windows XP as a CD-ROM and I cannot erase it. Disk Utility says I can only "read" this partition. Can someone tell me if this software is kept on a read-only chip in this external drive system, and if not, how I can reformat the entire 320 GB drive to remove it?

I have tried Apple's Disk Utility, and the low-level drive management options in Windows, to no avail.

Any help appreciated! regards, Jack
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
trevor

There's a hint about how to do this on the main Mac OS X Hints page.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Capt Jack
Prospect

Utilities for removing "CD" partition

Trevor pointed out a good link to a possible solution - this did not come up when I did a search of the hints with my key words. And, I want to erase a hard disk rather than a USB drive. However, I will try the (huge) HP software solution and post a result.

Thanks again Trevor.

regards, Jack
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Capt Jack
Prospect

HP Drive Key Boot Utility does not format clickfree external USB drive

After a long download and booting Windows XP on a Macbook Pro using the latest version of Parallels, I was unable to use the HP Drive Key Boot Utility to recognize (let alone format) the clickfree external hard drive. I will try it tomorrow from a real PC just in case, but so far it does not look like I have found the solution yet.

regards, Jack
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Capt Jack
Prospect

Still no luck with formatting clickfree drive - this time from XP Dell hardware

Hello all,

as a followup, I want to mention that I tried the aforementioned HP HP Drive Key Boot Utility formatting tool on the clickfree drive - this time from a Windows XP Dell machine. I still had no luck removing the "CD partition" containing the clickfree software.

Time to contact the company to see if they have the software on a small RAM chip on the drive board, perhaps.

regards, Jack
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
hachiman

Removing a CDFS partition can be tricky on a PC let alone a Mac. Not alot of free programs that will allow you to do this. I know it can be frustrating. I have a rayban flash drive and 70mb is used for the CDFS partition. Still unable to find a decent program that will reflash it or remove the partition.

The manufacturer of your hard drive won't help. If they have partitioned this drive for a reason then any changes won't be supported and would most likely void the warranty. And anything that voids the warranty, a manufacturer will not provide. Thats like asking Apple how to Jailbreak the iphone.

On a side note, Does this drive start automatically? I looked into this "Clickfree" drive a bit and it seems pretty straight forward. if you have airport express setup you can try connecting the drive to that. This would stop the program from running and then you can point Time Machine to backup to that specific drive.
hachiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Capt Jack
Prospect

Clickfree to the closet, next to the Airport

hachiman makes a good point about these types of CDFS partitions. Taking his advice, I plugged it into my Airport Base Station, and with some disk management setting changes, it mounts and is usable for Time Machine etc. Best of all, the Clickfree application partition does not mount.

So, I can at least use it as a backup device at home. I had hoped to re-format as an entirely blank drive to take and use on the road for file swapping and backup, but need more powerful software than I possess to accomplish this.

A nice, small, quiet disk nonetheless. regards, Jack
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Perso

removing clickfree partition

I also recently purchased a Clickfree external drive, I could not find an effective removal tool for the Clickfree partition. The manufacturer would not indicate how to remove this. I finally opened the case (note: this voids the warranty). The SATA hard drive is attached to a board that must physically contains the Clickfree software and/or partition. If you can detach the hard drive from this board and mount it onto a generic external hard drive enclosure ($10-15), you get rid of the annoying Clickfree software and end up with a formattable external drive you can use for any purpose.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
applguy

ClickFree Fix

I also was drawn in to purchasing a ClickFree Drive (mine is a 1tb model). I tried everything to format this drive to NO ADVANTAGE. I read this post and opened the case- sure enough... the software is indeed hidden on the attached board. Once it was removed the hard drive was placed- Poste Haste in an external case and lived happily ever after. ClickFree software is okay for a Windows machine but is worthless on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perso
I also recently purchased a Clickfree external drive, I could not find an effective removal tool for the Clickfree partition. The manufacturer would not indicate how to remove this. I finally opened the case (note: this voids the warranty). The SATA hard drive is attached to a board that must physically contains the Clickfree software and/or partition. If you can detach the hard drive from this board and mount it onto a generic external hard drive enclosure ($10-15), you get rid of the annoying Clickfree software and end up with a formattable external drive you can use for any purpose.

applguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
queldorei

Formatting clickfree drive to get rid of read only parition

I want to buy Seagate Backup Plus portable external drive. The cost at my local shop is 7000 something for 500 GB. It looks quite high. Can anyone tell me the exact price? I like the design and look. Also is it beneficial to buy for data backup only. I have around 250 GB of data. i overwrite the same each and every day.
I need a portable solution that can help me to understand the reliability. It would be risky if I buy a drive which is less reliable. I am sure there are people who purchased and still using the same. Can anyone guide me on the same about the features and information on the same.
queldorei is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: