Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > UNIX - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
telarmago
Prospect

Removing extended attributes in 10.5

I'm trying to remove the metadata that specifies where a file was downloaded from. I've searched high and low, but nothing has worked. The code at http://zzamboni.org/brt/2008/05/07/r...irectory-tree/ does not work for me, the extended attributes still remain. I've looked at xattr -h, but I don't know what attr_name are available, let alone what the attr_name to remove where I downloaded something from is.

Ideally, I'd like to remove all metadata from my files (aside from mp3 tags) in 10.5 - this was never a problem in Windows (which I STILL need to manage mp3 tags as OSX lacks any comprehensive tag manager)

Thanks for reading
telarmago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

If you list the item using just xattr (or ls -l@) the attribute names appear:
E.g., com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms

So use that name with the -d option (to delete it):
xattr -d "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms" /path/to/the/file

You'd need to repeat that for each attribute, such as "com.apple.quarantine" [hence the script you linked to]
--
One way to strip all xattrs simultaneously is to copy the file (or folder full of files) in a certain way.
E.g., use cp with the -X option... or rsync without the -E option.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 04-19-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
telarmago
Prospect

Thanks for the response
Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
telarmago
Prospect

I've successfully used:

sudo xattr -d "com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms" "/Volumes/Storage/Media/Videos/Filename.avi"

How would I go about scripting this to run on all files in a directory? I have many many gigs of files, so I'd rather not have to copy them.

Also, I've noticed while backing up these files to a FAT32 external drive, the info on where the file was downloaded from is gone. Does copying these files to a FAT32 drive also remove the extended attributes, or are they just not showing up due to the drive being FAT32?

Last edited by telarmago; 04-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
ganbustein
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by telarmago
Also, I've noticed while backing up these files to a FAT32 external drive, the info on where the file was downloaded from is gone. Does copying these files to a FAT32 drive also remove the extended attributes, or are they just not showing up due to the drive being FAT32?

My guess would be that FAT32 simply doesn't support the extended attributes, so they're gone. I don't have any FAT32 volumes to test with, but you can test quite easily. Just copy one of the files back to HFS+ and see if the extended attributes survive the round trip.
ganbustein is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: