Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
bbdaking

how to install unix executable files

please help me. i don't know how to install these kind of files. it was unstuffed from a .rar file. i read somewhere about changing the extension to make it work, but i don't know what to change it to, if that even works. the filename looks like this once i unstuff the .rar

Trilogy OSX AU 1.2 Install.macappl

the icon is a grey box that reads "exec" in green letters on the upper left corner
when i do a "get info" it says it's a unix executable file

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bbdaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

I suspect that what you are really asking is how to run (execute) Unix programs. The answer is that you run them by typing in the name of the executable in the Terminal application. See this Unix FAQ
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
anika123
All Star

Quote:
Trilogy OSX AU 1.2 Install.macappl

Is that some sort of music app. I dont think unix executable will solve your problem. Maybe the download was missing some stuff or the torrent was messed up somehow.
anika123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Cheech'i
Major Leaguer

OS X tells you a lot of things are Unix executable files that are not. I think you have part of a program there, or damaged/corrupted files.

Also keep in mind the main reason I see rar used is because you can make n number of rar files with n MB in each. You probably are missing a few rar's. I would use unrarX for rar in OS X, I have seen stuffit mangle some other archive types in the past.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech'i
OS X tells you a lot of things are Unix executable files that are not. I think you have part of a program there, or damaged/corrupted files.

Also keep in mind the main reason I see rar used is because you can make n number of rar files with n MB in each. You probably are missing a few rar's. I would use unrarX for rar in OS X, I have seen stuffit mangle some other archive types in the past.

Actually a lot of the times it is just unreadable meta data. I have seen so many problems with a previous version word documents that users try to copy. They show up as unix binary files, but if you edit the file and and add the .doc to the end of the file, then it seems to work out just fine.

Probably an issue with the whole data fork and resource fork, or with the meta data or something along those lines that causes that.

I also try to save files over HTTPS sometimes, and it saves them as quick time or binary files as well.

http://www.tlarkin.com

"It just told me what I already knew, that I'm a great and amazing guy, didn't I tell you baby, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox."
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Cheech'i
Major Leaguer

Good observation, yes it could be any of that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: