Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > UNIX - Newcomers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Don_Ron
Prospect

Question Copy only newer files with rsync

Hello:

I have a big iTunes music library on my office mac ("A"). I also have a big, but slighty different iTunes library on my home mac ("B"). They both have grown with different songs and videos lately.

Now I want to sync/merge them. I just copied the complete A library to an external HD and want to merge the media on it with that on the B machine. So the result (on B) should have all files from both A and B. Files on A that are already present on B do not need to be overwritten.

(How) can I use the rsync command correctly to do so?

Thanks for your help.

Ron
Don_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
cloudsy

Hi,

If rsync'ing between two different machines that run ssh, you could do something like this:

Code:
rsync -e 'ssh' -auv /directory_with_files/ username@ip:/target_directory/
Since you mentioned you had an external disk, I assume you'll probably be doing it on the local machine, so this is more likely to apply:

Code:
rsync -auv /external_disk_dir/ /Users/username/target_dir/
The '-a' is for performing an 'archive' which consists of multiple helpful options (recursion, saving of permissions, links, etc.). The '-u' option will update files only when the source is newer than the destination.

Hope that helps
cloudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
kiss-o-matic
Prospect

The -delete option comes in handy if the library gets too big (the destination won't delete files deleted at the source w/o it). But worth noting, from what I know of rsync, it makes sure the destination has what the source has. It's not bidirectional. You'd need to run two instances of it (w/o the -delete option) but note that you can overwrite something assuming files have the same name but are actually different. Shouldn't be an issue w/ mp3s. I wouldn't suggest it for something like source code though.
kiss-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rsync

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: