Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
lucidstar
Prospect

Jaguar ibook g4 will not boot os x

Hello. I have a Ibook G4 1 ghZ with 10.5.

Recently from a school auction I purchased 3 imac G3 600 mhZ with no operating systems.
I purchased tiger 10.4 family pack with 5 user accounts to load on the imac G3.

Little did I know when I got them that none had dvd drives and the tiger 10.4 disc were dvd. So using my knowledge of macs I placed the first of the imacs into target disc mode and put the firewire cable from the imac to my G4 and loaded the family pack of tiger in the ibook, restarted the Ibook (holding down c button) in hopes that when in target disc mode I would be able to select the imac target disc and install the operating system using the dvd drive of the Ibook.

But on restart, osx 10.4 install did not load but I got a flashing question mark folder and smiley face folder and then smiley face folder stuck on for about 10 minutes and would not load os.

Restarted Ibook and attempted to try the same procedure again with the same effect.
Removed firewire cable from Ibook and removed osx 10.4 install disc from drive and restarted Ibook only to have the flashing question mark and smiley face freeze on my screen again.
Placed the retail 10.5 disc I had for my Ibook in the drive and attempted to boot from the disc and still got the question mark and freeze on smiley face folder.

I removed disc and ram module attempting to flash nvram and pram but would not work. Then I restarted, holding down the option key, to select boot destination but got a password prompt. when typing in my password, nothing would happen. I tried typing half my password, and tried typing my username and password but still nothing.

Opened laptop up and disconnected hard drive and dvd drive then placed another imac I had in target disc mode to try booting Ibook off of G3s osx 10.3 but Ibook would not read firewire drive as target disc. I can still hear the hard drive spool up and dvd drive spool up when I have install disc in, but still get the question mark and smiley face that sticks on.

So last thing I tried was I dug up the original ibook install disc that came with the ibook originally which is 10.3 and attempted to install while holding down c but still the flashing question mark. Nothing I've tried seems to be working. I also tried placing a powerbook hard drive with 10.3 in the imac and boot from that, but would not work. Please help!!!!!

Last edited by hayne; 08-21-2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added whitespace
lucidstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Don't put the computer that you want to install OS X onto into target mode. Do it the other way round.
Take your iBook G4 that has a DVD drive and put THAT into target mode. Then the DVD player will be a drive that your iMac G3s can access.

Note that you cannot run Leopard (10.5) on G3 machines. The installer will not let you. There are ways round this, though, using XPostFacto.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
lucidstar
Prospect

thank you i will try that when i get the ibook to boot up, but i am still not able to get the ibook to boot after my first try at target disc mode, all i get still is the flashing question mark and then freeze on smily face for about 2 min then flashing question mark. any idea on how to get it to boot? and the os that i was attempting to install on the imac g3 is 10.4
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
trevor

Early iMac G3s absolutely must have a firmware update applied to them (in OS 9.x) before installing OS X 10.2 or later onto them. If you don't do this, you will get the iMac G3 into a condition where the screen is continuously black. It is extremely difficult to recover the iMac G3 from this condition.

What processor speed and color are the iMac G3s?

Have they had the firmware update applied?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
lucidstar
Prospect

This has nothing to do with the imac firmware. this is about my ibook g4 not booting the imacs are fine. if you must know thay are all slot load imacs with 600 mhz and 512 ram, if this was about a tray loading imac or slot loading imacs with 350 mhz then you would be right that i would need firmware update. but like the post states "ibook g4 will not boot os x" i had the imac in target disc mode and slaved it to the ibook in a attempt to use the ibooks dvd drive to load osx 10.4 onto the imac. when restarting the ibook to load osx install i got a flashing question mark then it freezes on the smily face folder and will not load osx. please read my first post it will explain the steps that i went through so far.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidstar
This has nothing to do with the imac firmware.

Yes, it's obvious that your question has nothing to do with iMac firmware. But the thing that you are trying to do is install OS X on iMac G3s. If those iMac G3s had been the early ones, you could have had serious problems if you didn't know about the firmware issue, so I warned you about it.

The iMac G3/ 600 MHz models should still update to Firmware 4.1.9..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidstar
this is about my ibook g4 not booting the imacs are fine.

Yes. I know what your question was, I have not responded to it as of yet.

You need to zap the PRAM and reset Open Firmware of your iBook. You say that this "does not work" with no other information, so it's of little value to tell us that it doesn't work. Please tell us what DOES happen when you try to zap the PRAM and reset Open Firmware. How are you doing it exactly (Use lots of words and lots of detail in a step-by-step manner to answer this question.)? What makes you think that it isn't working? You need to describe the problem, or we can't point out how to fix it.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
lucidstar
Prospect

Sorry i did not mean to come off in a bad way about the imacs not being the issue, i have ben down the imac firmware issue road in the past and i just wanted to make it clear that this was about the ibook, if it sounded like i was being rude i am sorry i did not mean any harm,
when i attempt to reset open firmware i turn on the ibook and hold down Option+Command+O+F this gets me to the open firmware prompt, but when i type reset-all or if i type reset-nvram i get a password prompt. by typing in my password into the password prompt it tells me it is invalid, so then i shut down the ibook and attempt to zap my pram, to do this i removed one stick of ram, then turn on the ibook and hold down Command-Option-P-R but i hear only 1 chime and the ibook boots up to the same flashing question mark and then it freezes on the smily face folder so i would assume that the zap did not work when i only hear 1 chime on start up. is there another way to zap pram? or am i doing it wrong? i tried this procedure 4 times with no luck yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
lucidstar
Prospect

Sorry i did not mean to come off in a bad way about the imacs not being the issue, i have ben down the imac firmware issue road in the past and i just wanted to make it clear that this was about the ibook, if it sounded like i was being rude i am sorry i did not mean any harm,
when i attempt to reset open firmware i turn on the ibook and hold down Option+Command+O+F this gets me to the open firmware prompt, but when i type reset-all or if i type reset-nvram i get a password prompt. by typing in my password into the password prompt it tells me it is invalid, so then i shut down the ibook and attempt to zap my pram, to do this i removed one stick of ram, then turn on the ibook and hold down Command-Option-P-R but i hear only 1 chime and the ibook boots up to the same flashing question mark and then it freezes on the smily face folder so i would assume that the zap did not work when i only hear 1 chime on start up. is there another way to zap pram? or am i doing it wrong? i tried this procedure 4 times with no luck yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
lucidstar
Prospect

GOT IT!!!! replaced ram with larger stick rather then just remove old ram, then restarted and did zap pram Command-Option-P-R and it worked this time after 3 chimes os x booted right away, then after some restarts to see if it would stick, i placed ibook g4 into target disc mode and slaved it to imac g3 600 mhz and used the ibooks dvd drive to load 10.4 onto all of the imacs thanks for your help every one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: