Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
tunescool
Triple-A Player

External 24 Hours A Day

i had an external hard drive that i had on 24 hours a day and the cord went bad and it doesnt work anymore, it was a little hard drive, doesnt matter what brand

does anyone know of an external hard drive where i can keep it on 24 hours a day and its not gonna get hot and go bad
tunescool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Every external drive should be capable of being plugged in and used continually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunescool
the cord went bad and it doesnt work anymore, it was a little hard drive, doesnt matter what brand

Can you describe what happened in a little more detail? How did the cord "go bad"? Do you mean the cable? Have you tried replacing that?

The brand may well be important, in terms of others' experiences. What was the brand and model?
What Mac do you have? How are you connecting - FireWire, Thunderbolt, USB2/3...?
What sort of usage is it getting -- photo libraries, or network server? Is it really being used 24/7, or will it have time to spin down in the night?
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

External drive manufacturers do not, in general, make their own power supplies or interface cables (or drives). And the small externals have laptop drives inside - they are definitely not meant to run 24/7.

If you want an external drive for your desktop, get a large, metal case with an external power supply (the drive runs cooler). I have several LaCie D2 Quadra drives under my desk, they have been running nonstop for several years now.

You say "the cord went bad". No problem - get a new cord.

You also said it "got hot" - which is it? Cases with internal power supplies get hotter than other cases.

Quote:
Is it really being used 24/7, or will it have time to spin down in the night?

It's generally considered that once a drive is running it experiences almost zero wear (fluid bearings - nothing is touching) Spin up/down is when it ages mechanically.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
seesolve
Triple-A Player

I like Western Digital. The cord on a previous drive went bad and my drive crashed. Apparently, USB mini and micro connectors can be weak and go bad over time with use. The Western Digital Elements hard drives have a micro-b USB 3.0 connector, which is less likely to go bad.

Last edited by seesolve; 11-17-2013 at 08:01 PM.
seesolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Macsales makes some of the best cases. There not inexpensive. They also sell them with drives. They warranty both. I am not fond of most OEM cases Segate, WD, etc. because they tend to put sleep settings on them though there supposed to response the OS settings. No question OEM is cheaper then macsales though.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesolve
Apparently, USB mini and micro connectors can be weak and go bad over time with use. The Western Digital Elements hard drives have a micro-b USB 3.0 connector, which is less likely to go bad.

The USB micro / mini connectors are awful. If this is a desktop unit (OP said 24/7 so....) there's no reason not to use the much more rugged full-size connectors.
acme.mail.order is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: