Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > UNIX - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
baj
Prospect

Middle mouse button functionality on MacBook Pro trackpad

Stupid question: I have a current-gen MacBook Pro (with the buttonless trackpad) running 10.5 and I can't figure out how to emulate the middle button of a 3-button mouse (for UNIX-style paste). Can anybody tell me how to do this?
baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
black0
Triple-A Player

As far as I know, the only Aqua app that support UNIX style select, middle click paste is Terminal (there may be more, but I've not encountered any), and that only supports Terminal->Terminal. I don't know of a way to trigger that aside from having a three button mouse.

If you are using X11 (where it would be supported), then the third mouse button should be settable in the prefs (I think it defaults to Option+click, but don't quote me on that). If you are using something like Fusion or Parallels to run a virtual unix session, again, that should be an option. Long story short, if you are working in an environment in which the third button may work, there is going to be an enclosing application that should give you the option to set what makes a middle click (and there is a reasonable chance that the default is option+click).

Last edited by black0; 10-21-2009 at 03:03 PM.
black0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
baj
Prospect

Thank you! I was looking in System Preferences under Keyboard & Mouse and Trackpad, and didn't think to look in the preferences of X11 itself. I should have been more specific, but X11 is the only environment where I'm trying to do this. It is option+click (right button is command+click), and I had tried this but didn't have it turned on in the preferences.
baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
bedge
Prospect

bettertouchtool lets you setup whatever tap/click/gesture you want to support middle click.
bedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: