Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > AppleScript

Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
willrollo

Create new folder on Server

Hi
I am a complete novice when it comes to applescript - I have been programming a database using filemaker 12 and have got a little stuck. I need to insert some Applescript that will create a folder (called "new") in the documents folder of the mac server that the client macs are connected to. I dont need to worry too much about the Filemaker aspects of tjhings at the moment - so long as I can test this out on a mac client using normal applescript then that should be fine...I have tried several other sites but no success as nothing quite fulfills my requests - the main issue being the creating of a new folder on a server...
Thank you!
willrollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

While it is possible (I've heard) to run AppleScript on a remote machine, usually you are running AppleScript on the local machine.
And so in your case, to create a folder on the server you need to know the path to the folder (that you want to add a folder to) as seen by your local machine.
So the problem reduces to finding out where the server's disk is mounted on your local machine and how to refer to that path.
I usually find it easiest to deal with POSIX paths (standard Unix paths) and then use the AppleScript commands for dealing with POSIX paths instead of fiddling with AppleScript's terminology for folder paths.
In standard Unix terminology, external disks and network disks get mounted under the "/Volumes" folder.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: