Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Sync iphone with ical

Hi All -

I have an iphone 5s and itunes 11.1.1 running on a macbook pro retina display (OS 10.9).

I'm trying to sync my iphone with ical. Searched the web and found several sets of instructions all indicating I need to go to itunes, select the device, select "Info" pushbutton at the top panel... There is no "Info" pushbutton, I have "Summary", "Apps", "Tones", "Music", "Movies", "TV Shows", "Podcasts", "Books" and "Photos".

Any ideas?
DanSandbergUCONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
trevor

I'm using iTunes 11.1.2, and there most definitely is an Info button. See attached image:

I'm not sure why you don't have one, and I doubt that the minor point upgrade from 11.1.1 to 11.1.2 would make the difference.

If you log out of your existing user and into a new one, then connect your iPhone, does iTunes in the new user have the correct Info button?

Do you have iCal installed in it's default location?

Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Info Button.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	4717  
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Thanks for the response trevor. I attached a screenshot of my itunes

No change when I try creating a new user. But I will try upgrading Itunes and report back.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Yeah updating Itunes didn't change anything (running 11.1.3 now). Yes ical is in the default location - /Applications/Calendar.app
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Shouldn't affect anything, but is there any difference if you turn your iTunes sidebar OFF?That's one difference between yours and trevor's screen shots.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Shouldn't affect anything, but is there any difference if you turn your iTunes sidebar OFF?That's one difference between yours and trevor's screen shots.

good eye for detail Delta but unfortunately nothing changed. This is bizarre....
Old 11-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

What change do you have in iTunes if you log in to a different user account?
(I bet it works then!)
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
ganbustein
MVP

The "Info" button is no longer there under Mavericks. Contacts and Calendars can now be synched only through iCloud.
ganbustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Delta- no change observed as a different user. ganbustein - What is Mavericks? I'm signed in thru iCloud - can you provide a walkthru to get my ical and iphone calendar synched?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Dan, Mavericks is the new OS X that you got for free recently!

Are we sure that syncing only works over iCloud? In the Summary tab, there's an option "Sync with this iPhone over WiFi".
Doesn't that mean using the same LAN, rather than going off to Apple and back again?

Alternatively, there's the "automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" button.

Anyway: if you just press the "Sync" button, then everything should sync. Does it not do that?

Last edited by benwiggy; 11-25-2013 at 03:21 AM.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
DanSandbergUCONN
Triple-A Player

Hi All - Need to bump this thread because I still have not solved the issue. When I push sync in iTunes the phone does not sync ical.

As a point of curiosity, if I add events in ical on my macbook AND I add events on my iphone, does sync copy all items to both devices?

I started another thread on this forum regarding reminders. I had abandoned ical and the reminders app on the iphone because it was just really poor quality. I purchased "bugger" which is equally poor. What I'm looking for is a reminder app that will be really intrusive and instant on being acknowledged. When I swipe to unlock the phone (after I enter my password) I'd like to be taken directly to the reminder so that I need to either acknowledge it has been done or reset it for another time. If I have multiple reminders for the same time, I'd like them to open in succession.

Thanks - Dan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: