Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
MacRulesOK
Prospect

Jaguar problem with Safari in Mavericks

iMac 24 running Mavericks
Everything appears to run correctly except for the following:

In Safari I can go promptly without problem to saved favourites, search results etc.
However, once in the target website, when I wish to go further, to a subheading or choice box or anything of that type the cursor immediately goes to the rotating beachball and will not budge. I wonder if I'm missing some sort of a plug-in maybe or other item. I'd appreciate any comment or help! Regards, Martin
MacRulesOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Have you tried turning OFF your Safari extensions?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
MacRulesOK
Prospect

Thanks Delta. I looked in the Safari extensions and found to my surprise that they were switched on but none were present. As you can imagine I turned the folder off and that seems to have solved the problem. Regards, Martin
Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
MacRulesOK
Prospect

I'm afraid I'm not out of the woods just yet! The problem seems to have resurfaced and is present whether Safari extensions are on or off?
I may not have the latest version of Java installed. Could this could cause the problem described in my original post? Regards, Martin
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
trevor

Does the website you are on when you see the problem use java extensively? Under normal circumstances, no, this wouldn't have anything to do with java, and in fact I'd advise turning java off on your browser unless you rely on a website that requires it.

Note that java and javascript are not related in even the tiniest way except for the coincidence of the first four letters of their names. Turning off javascript is likely to cause problems with a lot of websites. Turning off java is just a good idea unless you have no other choice.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
MacRulesOK
Prospect

Thanks for your advice Trevor. Regrettably this problem is still not solved. As soon as I'm in Safari, on ANY webpage, attempts to proceed further by mouse click produces the continuously spinning beach ball within a few seconds? Any more ideas as to the cause would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

You say ANY web page, but is that really true?
E.g. do you have this problem on the web pages for these forums?
Do you have this problem on www.apple.com ?
Please give specific examples of web pages (URLs) where you have this problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
MacRulesOK
Prospect

Thanks for your prompt response. It is certainly present on many, many webpages, including the UK meteorological office: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/
The iMac24 in question is not in front of me at the moment but I will check whether the problem is present on these forums and on apple.com at the weekend and report back......
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
loony888
Triple-A Player

i'm having the same issues, every page i visit behaves the same, i cannot open new windows or tabs at all and i have followed all the suggestions given so far.

I have new macbook pro with mavericks and all software is right up to date.
loony888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
benwiggy
League Commissioner

The Met Office website works fine for me on Safari in Mavericks.

I would check the Console to see if any relevant log messages are being left. Test the problem in a brand new user account. This will show whether the problem is caused by a pref or cache or other setting in your original account, or not. Of so, go back to the original account and start investigating those things.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
MacRulesOK
Prospect

Have now had the chance to explore the route kindly suggested by hayne and have to report that the problem does not appear to be present neither on apple.com nor on these forums?
I do hope that this narrows the field somewhat.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
loony888
Triple-A Player

that's good news, is hayne's advice available here somewhere you can point me to?

cheers,
Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
hayne
Site Admin

It wasn't advice - merely a question - see post #7 of this thread.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
loony888
Triple-A Player

ahh, righto, thanks

I'm still having issues with safari, it won't close a page, you have to quit, it won't open an additional window or tab at all and if i try to open a URL address from mail for example i get a silhouette (as safari is my default browser) and nothing more.

i've checked for plug ins and i've repaired permissions, rebooted etc. and now i've resorted to using chrome ( i despise everything google but i'm hoping it's only temporary.
surely i can't be the only mavericks user with this issue?

brand new macbook pro, software transferred by the mac shop off my old machine....
Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888
surely i can't be the only mavericks user with this issue?

Certainly in the minority. Some problems are entirely unique to each computer setup.
Have you tried what I suggested earlier: create a brand new user account, log in and try using Safari there?
If Safari works fine, then you know that the problem is not system-related, but something to do with the caches, preferences or software running in your original user account. Go back there and experiment: use something like Onyx to clean your user caches; try deleting Safari's preferences in your user Library; make sure you haven't got any third-party software running, particularly stuff in the background.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #16
loony888
Triple-A Player

yep, tried that too, sorry, should have logged it in my last post, my wifes account does it and i created a guest account that was no different, so it's definitely related to just an account, i've checked my plug ins and made sure there are none running, i'll try deleting my safari preferences and see if that helps.

edit: deleted everything in safari, bookmarks, the lot. same behaviour, any way i can see 3rd party software other than looking in the plugins folder?
Got Onyx, deleted my caches, still doing it, frustrated now, LOL
thanks for the help

paul

Last edited by loony888; 12-21-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
MacRulesOK
Prospect

I have to report Safari is fine in a new user account and am now looking in the cache files etc previously recommended! Thanks for your help so far
Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
loony888
Triple-A Player

mine has been fixed!
thankfully, as i was starting to get paranoid at all the eyes watching me on chrome.... LOL

so even though i couldn't see it running in the background (don't know why, probably not looking in the right place) GLIMS started popping up with strange warnings when i open safari, once uninstalled it is fine. Seems it is not stable with safari 7, on my machine anyway.

thanks for the help and suggestions people, very much appreciated as always.

have a safe and happy christmas.

Tags
mavericks, safari issues need help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: