Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 11-16-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Jaguar 10.2.2 Killing my system.

I updated 4 days ago to 10.2.2 package. After 2 1/2 days I suddenly had a bunch of swapfiles and a full SWAP partition.

The only thing I had done was try to print a pdf file(73 pages) Preview tried to make it into 250 pages?!?! So I printed it thru Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.

About three pages from the end the system put up the disk full warning so I quit everything except Acrobat and Print Center and left for work.
When I got home the swap files were gone but kernal_task was hogging all the cpu.

Rebooted to s-u and fsck -y hard drive had lots of problems??? Had to reboot and fsck -y some more.

Exit and login and everything ok for about 1 day then kernal_task stealing cpu again. Can't find my hocky puck to see if it will work. Right now if I move the mouse (M$ optical wheel intellimouse) the clock won't update.

This is entirely unacceptable shouldn't have to reboot everyday. Anyone have a solution or know which kext needs to be downgraded as there is no software update to fix it yet.

WillyT

ps I have never had to reinstall since 10.0.1 and have only done upgrades. Tho I did have to toss an old kext that the 10.2 update missed.

400MHz G4 sawtooth, HP G85, MOTU fastlane midi, and M$ intellimouse
WillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
thatch
All Star

WillyT,

Have a look here in case you didn't already know about this. You have to be a registered user of MFI Pro to access it. If you are not, you can email me for details.

For me, it's partially true with my G85xi and 10.2.1. Perhaps it's gotten worse with the 10.2.2 update. I am very much not enamored with HP right now for this and some other even bigger reasons.
thatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 01:44 AM   #3
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Question More weirdness

Thanks Thatch

Yeh I had seen it. So tried booting with most USB stuff disconnected.

I reboot half a dozen times to s-u and couldn't get my HD's to come up right. My SWAP partition is /dev/disk0s10 and it always came up /dev/disk1s10. argggggh

So I plugged everything back in and reboot brings the HD's up in the "correct" order.
Looks like USB is going to be a problem.

Will try not printing for a few days. Could be HPcommunications is the real culprit. I have to start it manually thru HP Director to print as I didn't want it starting on its own. 7% is too much to give up. And when things went crazy and the printing was done it had been sitting at 25% till I killed it.

Dang I just spent $60 on print cartridges.

I plugged in a Compact optical wheel mouse from R-S and it did the same thing with kernal_task locking up the system while moving.

Going to be really grumpy!
WillyT
Old 11-17-2002, 02:09 AM   #4
thatch
All Star

WillyT,

Glad to hear you got your drives back up now. I did a little more searching around about this and came up with two more forums with plenty of users that are blaming HP drivers, and not just the G series. Check it here for the biggest one if you want. And look for the posts that are rated 'Helpful' to cut down on the repetition.

Geez, I recently bought some new cartridges for my HP and spent about $80 from Costco, but it did have two black cartridges in one pack. They were my first replacements since the originals. And since they were installed, I now have a problem were the window on the front of the unit says, 'press enter to align cartridges', and no matter what, that message won't go away. So, no date and time there as well as no operations will work from the front panel anymore, only from the computer with HP Director.

I called HP about it and after about an hour with them they decided that I must be missing a thin piece of clear plastic that is supposed to be attached on the bottom of the black cartridge holder that can be knocked off when an envelope contacts it because of the angle that envelopes come out. I could go on but what really gets me is that I am about two months out of warranty and they want me to pay $25 for the tech call even though they could not solve my problem. Also, I asked how much it would be to have it repaired and they said the price of a new one, $500. All for a very small piece of thin plastic that should never have fallen off of an OfficeJet machine.

Sorry for the rant but I'm still fuming about it.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #5
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Angry hp uninstall required

Thatch

Looks like we're out of luck. I had to totally uninstall the hp stuff. It wasn't enough to not start hp communications. May be some other part of the software.

Uptime 2 days and no real problems. Tho kernal_task still has taken more time than anything else, it is not hogging it all even with much excessive mouse movements.

Seems we are getting too close to a fragile OS rather than a robust one at the moment.

Willy
Old 11-20-2002, 11:30 PM   #6
thatch
All Star

WillyT,

I don't know how much it would help the fragility of the usb problems we've been discussing around the net, but there seems a possibility of a newer driver for the AIO which sounds a lot like the old gimp-print and ghostscript method at first glance. But I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure. I've been hoping for a confirmation from someone else before going to all the trouble like I had done with the gimp-print method. Anyway, you can find it here if you're interested. BTW, I'm still on 10.2.1 and hoping for a better 10.2.3 in the future.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Cool A reasonable solution

Thatch DSHwrd ExWindowsUser and all HP G85 users

Ok I've been up down fubared and everything else since updating to 10.2.2 but I finally got it to work.

First download but don't install from here

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Develo...9.2DDK.dmg.bin

Second make a backup of your present IOUSBFamily.kext If you don't and this fubars your system you won't have a mouse and you will have no easy way to recover.
Do not install IOUSBFamily.kext from the 10.2.1 Update it will not work.(It may be incomplete, but I know it fubared my system)

Third install the IOUSBFamily-1.9.2.pkg
(edit) Follow all instructions in Readme.rtf
Fourth reboot

Fifth install the "hp officejet g installer"

Printing works as well as ever. kernal_task is behaving.

Ok I admit I didn't do steps 1 and 2 the first time and instead used pacifist to install from the 10.2.1 Update. I had to do an archive and install of Jaguar to recover!!!

Many thanks to our friends at macfixit.com for this solution.

Not Quite So Grumpy
Willy

Last edited by WillyT; 11-23-2002 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:05 PM   #8
thatch
All Star

WillyT, that's great news. I had heard about downgrading that .kext to make things work reasonably well again. Reminded me of when I had to downgrade an ethernet.kext in 10.1.5 to regain network activity after wake from sleep, which also worked.

Version 1.9.2 is the same version as in my 10.2.1 install but you are probably correct in not grabbing it from the update but rather getting it whole from another direct source.

Have you tried printing a simple envelope yet? For me, it takes way too long. But otherwise the functions of my AIO are working reasonably well.

I'm still considering the linux printing org method that I made mention of above for faster printing. Regular printing isn't bad the way it is but could be faster like it was with previous OS's and drivers.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:47 AM   #9
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Not so great

Guys

The system just locked up tighter than....

Opps I don't think I can use that particular expression here. Well while were on the subject of hats I'll have to find my Tom Teriffic hat and decide do I want to use 10.2.2 with its flakey kernal_task and no printing or reinstall again to go back to a stable 10.2.1. As sw/ and Users/ are off world and I have everything I ever downloaded on an other partition maybe I can install on another partition and symlink those also. You can never have too many partitions but they could be too small.

Think I'll put on Zappas "Sheik Yerbouti" and dedicate "Flakes" to some of them in Boise and Cupertino.

Grumpy
Willy
Old 11-24-2002, 09:56 PM   #10
thatch
All Star

WillyT,

Ahh, Geez, sorry to hear that. I assume it was the downgraded .kext that broke something else, maybe the framework. This is precisely why I keep a spare partition with the prior system on it and also a mirror backup too.

These upgrades have to be tested before you decide for sure to use them. I'm still on 10.2.1 and don't have any big problems so I know you'd be able to get back to that. And whether you use symlinks or mount points for your off world stuff is up to you. Hopefully having it like that will help make the task of reinstalling a simpler one for you. But I wouldn't have more than six or seven partitions total.

On the lighter side of your post, I'm amazed to find another Zappa fan. I've seen him over a dozen times in concert and have all the albums of yesteryear, rest his soul. (...is that a Sears poncho or a real one?) or (...how's about replacing that with a telefunken 247?)
Old 11-24-2002, 10:01 PM   #11
mervTormel
League Commissioner

MMM . . . tweezers!
Wait a minute, lemme sterilize 'em . . .
Gimme yer lighter . . .
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
thatch
All Star

Arrow

...the muffin man was seated at the table of the utility muffin research kitchens. And from the sterile snoot of a fully charged icing and ointment utensil, each time a nice little muffin would come by on the belt, he put forth one quarter ounce green rosette of a dance and radiant design.

LOL!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:59 AM   #13
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Wasn't kext problem

The truth came out.

The keyboard had been unplugged while Ed (my wifes kid) moved things around. Then the system froze.

Have now been running with the apple supplied IOUSBFamily.kext v 1.9.2 for over a week WITH hp software installed. I haven't printed anything but the tray has much less paper than the other day!?!

Not Quite so Grumpy

Willy

ps the best thing about OS X is I don't have to look at Ed's desktop and he doesn't have to look at mine.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:19 AM   #14
thatch
All Star

WillyT, glad you didn't have to reinstall your system to downgrade to 10.2.1. So, the IOUSBFamily.kext downgrade is apparently working for you. That's great.

When you say, "I haven't printed anything but the tray has much less paper than the other day!?!", I'm assuming that you mean Ed must have been using the paper somehow? Perhaps printing? I hope so.

Here's to being not quite so grumpy!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:22 PM   #15
WillyT
Major Leaguer

Framed pictures on the wall!

Yes there are new framed pictures on the dining room wall.

The printer queue is a bit muley tho. But I can live with that. The scanner is "No Problem"

The kid has been here a month. Wrecked my van and totally crashed the computer once but he draws real good and if the software works he can use it. Guess I need to show him The Gimp.

I use this command in the printer setup for Gimp

Printer: OfficeJet_G85_hPrinteri

Select from list: Post Script Level 2

Command:
Code:
cat >tmp/temp.ps ;ps2pdf tmp/temp.ps tmp/temp.pdf ;lpr tmp/temp.pdf
not pretty not elegant but it works

Warning opinions being expressed here.
Using ghostscript6 (colors very close to original)
not ghostscript 7 (more contrast but some shading washes to solid color. This may mean a smaller number of colors used)

Willy
Old 12-04-2002, 01:48 PM   #16
thatch
All Star

The kid wrecked your van? Geez. By driving it? Just curious.

I can't remember if I asked this before, but are you using a print server or are you directly connecting your G85 via usb?

Otherwise, it sounds like your doing okay with all now. Hope that continues for you.

Best,

thatch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: