Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
uzapuca
All Star

iMac as Macbook Pro second display?

Hi guys,
1) Is there any way i could use my iMac 21" as a second display for a new Macbook Pro 13" (not retina display model)?

2) Can i connect the Macbook Pro 13" to LED Computer/TV display with HDMI ports?

3 What cables would i need in both cases?

4) I get a bit confussed in all the Mac cables for video related issues. That might be a silly question but why they are so incredible short, like the Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA...apter?fnode=51

Do i need an extension cable too?

Sorry for so many questions, very newbie in external displays and connections.

Best,
S
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

1) Yes, if your 21-inch iMac has a Thunderbolt port (2011 models and newer). The Target Display mode only works when connecting with a Thunderbolt cable (not a mini Displayport cable)
After connecting the two Macs with the TB cable, then just hit Command + F2 on the iMac keyboard to set it to Target Display Mode.

2) Yes, you just need the right adapter.
Apple has no idea what you want to connect to, so the video adapters are just that - adapters, only a few inches long. You then just add the cable in the length that you need.
The adapter can be this one - Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt to HDMI
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1...-audio-support
Or, a great site for lots of different cables is Monoprice.com - and here's a link for a variety of cables, both short adapters, and multiple lengths to get just what you need.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ayport+to+HDMI

You can see that there's several choices
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
uzapuca
All Star

Hi DeltaMac,

Great info, indeed! Thanks

I will look for those cables now in monoprice. I am reading some of the HDMI adaptdors and it seems some do carry video and AUDIO and some do not. Only video. Strange...

Cheers,
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
chabig
Hall of Famer

I haven't look up this answer, but I thought the 27" iMac was the only model that could function as a display. I didn't think the 21" machines had the capability.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You are correct, until the ThunderBolt models. The older mini DP iMacs only supported the target display mode on 27-inch models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
uzapuca
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
The adapter can be this one - Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt to HDMI
Or, a great site for lots of different cables is Monoprice.com - and here's a link for a variety of cables, both short adapters, and multiple lengths to get just what you need.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ayport+to+HDMI

You can see that there's several choices

Thanks for the extra info on where to get those cables.

1) By the way DeltaMac, how can it be so much price difference on those two cables? I just want to be sure i will be buying the right cable...

The Moshi model at the Apple store online: cost $35

The same alternative at Monoprice is just: $6
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Is it the same cable and for the same purpose? Are Apple cable way overprices or Monoprice's cable a bit low quality. Since i have never bought there i would like to ask you on what you recomend.

2) By the way, sorry for the question but i am bit slow today...after purchasing the adapter Thunderbolt / HDMI, i need an HDMI to ? to connect to the iMac or MacBook Pro right? what should the next cable (not adapter) should be? HDMI to Thunderbold again? Mac don't have HDMI ports, right? again sorry about the question but too much party last night and my brain is on slow mode today.

Best,
S

Last edited by uzapuca; 02-13-2013 at 07:32 AM.
uzapuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzapuca
2) after purchasing the adapter Thunderbolt / HDMI, i need an HDMI to ? to connect to the iMac or MacBook Pro right? what should the next cable (not adapter) should be? HDMI to Thunderbold again? Mac don't have HDMI ports, right?

For MacBook Pro to the iMac display, you need a Thunderbolt cable. With Thunderbolt at both ends.
You only need theThunderbolt to HDMI adaptor if you're going to connect the MBP to an HDMI-capable TV or monitor.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The two have the same purpose.
The main difference is the case on the HDMI adapter.
The Monoprice is plastic.
The Moshi is aluminum, ostensibly to minimize interference.

Does that justify the additional cost, more than 5 times as much?

I think you will find the Monoprice is a good choice, with good quality, and certainly will be the lowest, or one of the lowest prices for a lot of different accessories.
My experience with Monoprice has been very good. I have not ever heard of anyone complaining about low quality at Monoprice. They DO advertise good quality at low prices - and that is Monoprice's main plan, I think. http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=aboutus

Some people prefer to get everything for the Mac in one place, all from Apple.
Many others, like you or me, actually look around and find out that many accessories are actually available from other sources, sometimes the identical product, for less - sometimes, a LOT less.

If you have a warranty issue with products that you bought from Apple, then you should expect that Apple will stand behind the products that you purchase from Apple.
If you have purchased accessories from other sources, then warranty actions will be different.
Is the Apple accessory worth the extra cost - and it's often an impression that Apple's are higher in price?
For some users, yes, as long as you are not comparing Apples to Oranges.
But, those who choose to look around, and shop around, tend to "Think Different..."
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
uzapuca
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
For MacBook Pro to the iMac display, you need a Thunderbolt cable. With Thunderbolt at both ends.
You only need theThunderbolt to HDMI adaptor if you're going to connect the MBP to an HDMI-capable TV or monitor.

Thanks for the info benwiggy!
Will the Thunderbolt at both ends type of cable would support video as well as AUDIO right? i read the review in on Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, for instance, that one carry the video signal. People at the Apple Store forum were evidently pretty furious at this ripp off.

Just asking to be sure.

Best,
S
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
uzapuca
All Star

Quote:
The two have the same purpose.
The main difference is the case on the HDMI adapter.
The Monoprice is plastic.
The Moshi is aluminum, ostensibly to minimize interference.

Does that justify the additional cost, more than 5 times as much?

Thanks for the good info DeltaMac!
You can buy as much as 4 to 5 adapters in Monoprice for the price of one at Moshi. Amazing. I haven't try them both so i couldn't be 100% sure but i don't think the cost difference might be worth it. I don't know if an aluminum terminal will change dramatically the interference output.

Many cable are the Apple store are way more expensive than everywhere else. I don't know why. I guess some users do pay loyalty to the brand with extra prices. Could that be right?

Good insight.

Last edited by uzapuca; 02-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Even if the Monoprice cables were of lesser quality, or didn't last as long, you can buy two (or more) just to have an unused spare, and still spend less...
I think you will find out that Monoprice cables are top quality - and some cables they sell are equivalent to "Monster" cables, or whatever you think are premium brand cables.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
uzapuca
All Star

Quote:
Even if the Monoprice cables were of lesser quality, or didn't last as long, you can buy two (or more) just to have an unused spare, and still spend less...
I think you will find out that Monoprice cables are top quality - and some cables they sell are equivalent to "Monster" cables, or whatever you think are premium brand cables.

Thanks for the info DeltaMac.
I just chat with Monoprice, they don't carry Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable. Too bad i was hoping in buying everything in one place. Any other online store besides Apple. It does cost $39 at Apple Store. A bit pricey i guess.

Best,

Last edited by uzapuca; 02-13-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Yes, so far, the thunderbolt cable is an exception. There are other makers, but the cables tend to be similar to Apple's prices.
http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunderb.../dp/B009X58EHY
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
uzapuca
All Star

Thanks Delta, you are right! all TB to TB cables are high end. Don't know why. Nevertheless, thanks for the good info!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
anthlover
Hall of Famer

One more point for the non thunderbolt cables and I am a monoprice fan.

There appear to be issues with Apple and Mono (less so) dual link DVI cables. That is not what anyone in this thread is looking for but the cables are expensive and apparently fussy.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
uzapuca
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
That is not what anyone in this thread is looking for but the cables are expensive and apparently fussy.

sorry, but what do you mean by "fussy" something overpriced or not fully reliable in the end. I don't understand the right meaning in the context of this phrase.

Unfortunately if you are about to connect the MacBook Pro and iMac as second display i guess there is no other option than TB to TB cables, right? the HDMI / TB are for an external display or TV. So far, that is what i understood.

Cheers,
S
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
anthlover
Hall of Famer

YUp Sorry

Yes Sorry. Thunderbolt cable is all you need.

ALl the other cables involve hooking your Imac Macbook Pro or Imac to some other display not using the iMac as second display.

Regular Mini Display port to HDMI, Full size Displayport, VGA, DVI is pretty reliable. There are Mini Display port to Dual Link DVI and these from virtually all providers get more mixed reviews from Sleep to wake display issues to jittery images etc. Many folk are happy but there is a fair amount of unhappy.

I would say if possible Do not use a Dual link which was not your intent.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Yes, you need the TB to TB cable to use the Target Display mode, assuming both Macs have Thunderbolt ports.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: