Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
student13
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 330
does evasion open my iphone (so I can use a differnt company's sim card).

Hi does evasion jailbreak open up the base band so that I can open up my iphone and use a different providers Sim card?
student13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,506
The jail break tools are for installing apps not the baseband perse (they let you bypass the app store and mod your phone and add non app store apps). The evasion version is meant for IOS6.x

There are I believe baseband hacks too that you would have to research on the appropriate forums. Or perhaps someone here knows a good link for you.

In order for anyone to try to help you would actually have to mention which Phone and IOS and base band version you are on.

Last edited by anthlover; 02-05-2013 at 06:15 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
agentx
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 4,115
I have requested in the past with my providers to Unlock certain phones as i was using different providers while travelling. Some do it after 6 months of contract but they are all different. This method is a hardware unlock. Provider requests from Apple for the unlock of a device. You plug into iTunes and boom it unlocks. There was a nominal fee.

There is no Software Unlock for iOS 6 that i know of to allow use of any sim.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
student13
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx
I have requested in the past with my providers to Unlock certain phones as i was using different providers while travelling. Some do it after 6 months of contract but they are all different. This method is a hardware unlock. Provider requests from Apple for the unlock of a device. You plug into iTunes and boom it unlocks. There was a nominal fee.

There is no Software Unlock for iOS 6 that i know of to allow use of any sim.

Hi Agentx , yes all providers are different , and unfortunately all the ones in Canada are particularly *******-ish. Particularly Bell Canada/Virgin Mobile Canada. Their policy is you have to have your 3 year contract paid off, before you can have teh pleasure of paying them 75$ bucks for an unlock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
The jail break tools are for installing apps not the baseband perse (they let you bypass the app store and mod your phone and add non app store apps). The evasion version is meant for IOS6.x

There are I believe baseband hacks too that you would have to research on the appropriate forums. Or perhaps someone here knows a good link for you.

In order for anyone to try to help you would actually have to mention which Phone and IOS and base band version you are on.


As for your quote antlover here are the best tools , I have found 2 good solutions to unlock your iphone 4s or 5.

1. You can buy a Gevey sim card (turbo sim card).
2. You can use evasi0n , and SAM (a software based solution ) to unlock.


Hopes this helps everyone who wants to unlock an iphone. Its too bad that Android phones have too much going on too confusing to have a clean an neat ie minimalist interface like iphone, or they sould dominate the market.

Last edited by student13; 02-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.
student13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
hayne
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 32,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by student13
Their policy is you have to have your 3 year contract paid off, before you can have teh pleasure of paying them 75$ bucks for an unlock.

If you are still on contract, then you effectively don't own the phone. So the network provider (who is effectively part owner of your phone) has a say in what you do with it.
If you want to do what you want, then don't buy the phone on contract. You can always do this. And (depending on which province you are in) you probably can pay off the balance of the contract now and hence own your phone.
__________________
hayne.net/macosx.html
hayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,506
Of course has Hayne points out you might be better selling your Phone and buying an unlocked one or paying the ETF and letting the carrier unlock it, most I believe will unlock the phone if you have paid up one way or the other.

Your alternative of paying the ETF and then trying to unlock it yourself probably will not proof fully satisfactory from what I was able to gather looking around.

Good Luck.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
onceagain
All Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 666
This is why I got a Verizon phone from Apple. I can put any damned SIM card in it I want (more or less).
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
student13
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
This is why I got a Verizon phone from Apple. I can put any damned SIM card in it I want (more or less).

You can't put any sim card you want in it. If you have a Verizon iphone 4s, and you put an AT&T or T-MOBILE sim card, it will reject it.

(WHY: because the firmware on Verizon iPhone 4/4S are programmed in such a way that it will reject any sim card that has an MCC (mobile carrier code) that corresponds with the ones assigned to AT&T and t-MOBILE).

BUT, if you have an iPhone 5 with Verizon, you can use any sim card, whether it be AT&T T-MOBILE or whatever. (This is not because Verizon decided to be less dick headed about it, but rather that the American FCC, decided that if you want to have phones that use the LTE spectrum, you have to have it open).
student13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
student13
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
If you are still on contract, then you effectively don't own the phone. So the network provider (who is effectively part owner of your phone) has a say in what you do with it.
If you want to do what you want, then don't buy the phone on contract. You can always do this. And (depending on which province you are in) you probably can pay off the balance of the contract now and hence own your phone.

This is an incorrect comment for several reasons. 1. You do own the phone the minute you pay the subsidized price for it. The same logic goes for the old school Bell Canada Northern telecom phones. The reason that they made you purchase the phone and own it on a subsidized cost , is because they wanted to provide limited liability coverage for it. (This is why I own a 700$ phone with a 1 year warranty on it). The same logix applies to me owning my Bell fibe box or my Videotron box. Otherwise my carrier would have to be responsible for non abuse malfunction for the period of teh contract 3 years. If I cut the service, I still have to pay back a portion of the cost of the contract of telecom service. But check this with the Quebec or Ontario consumer protection branch of govt. I believe that I am legally liable for the teh balance of teh handset and modest termination fees.
student13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by student13
This is an incorrect comment for several reasons. 1. You do own the phone the minute you pay the subsidized price for it. .... liable for the the balance of the handset ....

You seem to contradict yourself there. If you own it there is no balance. It's "yours" in a common property sense but until you finish paying for it the provider / lessor still has claim to it. Cars and houses work the same way.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Sumleilmus
MVP
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: /
Posts: 1,120
"unlock" is contextual

This article in Forbes points out that the word unlocked has many different meanings. In most of North America, the owner of an iPhone is likely to be dissatisfied with the interpretation of the meaning of that word offered by his/her carrier.

Not until I read this article did I understand how important it is to buy one's iPhone from Apple rather than from a carrier. You might think you have the same options no matter where you bought the phone, but the author of this piece disputes it.

AT&T is perhaps less disagreeable than the carrier(s) available to student13. They have unlocked two iPhones for me… but each was purchased from Apple. One had completed its contract, but the other was merely close to completion –21 of 24 months, or something like that.
__________________
Sumleilmus
________
10.9.3 MacBook Pro 9,2 (13 inch, early 2013)
10.9.3 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 4core, 2008)
Sumleilmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site design © IDG Consumer & SMB; individuals retain copyright of their postings
but consent to the possible use of their material in other areas of IDG Consumer & SMB.