Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
walchan99
All Star

Mixed network USB printing problem

Mixed network problem again. Bought a Netgear DGN2200v3 router. Good performance. In-built traffic meter. USB disk option. Made it my primary server (Gateway, DHCP). My Time Capsule (connected via ethernet) is now in Bridge mode in the basement, and provides wireless connectivity there. My (non-network printer HP Laserjet 1022) is connected via USB to the Time Capsule.

For 'Extend a Wireless Network' reasons, want to interchange the physical locations of the TC and the Netgear. So the Netgear goes to the basement, but remains the Gateway & DHCP, and the TC comes up and creates a network which can be extended on demand via Airport Express.

Since my printer (housed in the basement) can't be served by the Netgear, I thought of using an old (Flying Saucer) Airport Extreme I have lying around. So ethernet connection from Netgear to Airport Extreme. USB connection from Airport Extreme to printer. All well, printer shows up in the Printers tab in Airport Utility.

But no luck with the printing. Am mystified, since the Airport Extreme was till recently connecting the same printer to the wireless network. The printer shows up fine in the System Preferences list, green light and all. I fire the print and it cannot connect. The alert says 'Unable to find printer'. Tried from my iMac running 10.8 and MBP running 10.6. Followed another tip in this forum and 'reset the printer'. Still no luck.

My reasoning is that since all connectivity from router to printer is wired, nothing should get in the way. Any guidance?
•Wireless: Time Capsule 1GB/AEBS/AEx
•iPhone5 6.12
•iPad2 6.12
•Apple TV 3G 6.1

Last edited by walchan99; 01-04-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Clarity
walchan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: