Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
onceagain
All Star

iPhone 5 dock - and other stuff

I looked at some on-line and then decided to go into the Apple Store to see something in person. They didn't have any! Even worse, the guy suggested I buy dock for a 4 and get the adapter. Idiot. So now I am back to shopping online.

In other news - it would be nice if turning off tethering would just off bluetooth and wifi, just like it turns them ON when you turn tethering on. It sucks having to turn off 3 things every time. Is there any way around this?

It would be also nice if turning on wifi automatically turned on VPN. Any way to do this?

tia,
oa
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
scooby509
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain
Even worse, the guy suggested I buy dock for a 4 and get the adapter. Idiot.

That's a real Apple® Genius™ right there.

What I've seen is various products that require a separate cable and basically route it into the dock. Lightning dock looks like a nice product, and Belkin has one. (can't link, the forum software thinks I'm a spammer :-/ )

I'm considering an alternative, mounting gadgets on a pegboard under my desk. Lifehacker had an article on it. That gets me a place for all the gadgets, they can all be charging and the power is set up correctly. Now, I'm not certain my phone will be part of that just because it is a high traffic device, but the idea seems worth noting since a dock still has the cable mess problem.
scooby509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
anthlover
Hall of Famer

You did not specify what you want the dock for?

An internet search turns up some, many probably to be shied away from because their dodgy knock offs. Devices Speaker Docs, etc with Lighting connectors have started to appear.

Many would be better served by a multi port USB charge that you had lighting cables too.

There are also some kits that let you take an Apple $19 lighting cable which you incorporate into a weighted base aka making a dock.

As to the Phone questions Im not sure what you mean. Built in functionality wise you can switch to Airplane mode and turn wifi back on, Turn off Wifi, blue tooth individually. Not sure of any app or trick to get them to flip on and off together other then Airplane mode which shuts all off but allow you turn wifi back on.

I would also leave blue tooth off if your not using it.

Last edited by anthlover; 01-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
onceagain
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
You did not specify what you want the dock for?

I just want it set the iPhone it in, so it has a vertical orientation, sitting on the desk and charging (like my old iPod doc). Additional USB ports (ala hub) would be a bonus.
onceagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Here are some

http://www.thelightningdock.com/products/iphone-5-dock

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=1248877011
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: