Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #41
Nabeel_co
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-bo
...I then tried Disk Warrior but DW stops after just a few minutes with an out of memory error (error 2154 IIRC).

So, I had a similar problem and contacted DW support.

It turns out that DW does everything in system memory, doesn't page out to swap, and, since its 32 bit only, can't allocate more than 4 GB of ram, so if your whole filesystem table is more than 4 GB, either due to a large drive, or many small files, then you are up the creek.

I wish I had known this before shelling out 100 dollars... But their support did remote into my computer and get my drive mountable again via modifying it by hand, which was really cool.

But it means that anytime I need to use DW on such a drive, I have to spend 5 hours waiting for support to call me back, then an hour while the fix is done by hand...

If they hadn't done that extra work for me, I'd be asking for my money back, and still as it stands, I don't feel great about the purchase unless when they come out with the 64bit version they offer me a free upgrade (which they made sound like it was happening soon).
Nabeel_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #42
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Nice update

Nice update on Alsoft's/DW fine service. I am of course telling you what you already know, but you got way more then 100 dollars worth of service with them doing the job by hand.

** Many vendors charge $1000s to recover data. Though aloft should fix the limitation and offer an option to run off a USB stick or another drive to get around those limitations, even with a 64 bit version, not everyone has more ram.

Also please do yourself a favor and back up (bootable images e.g. CCC, Superduper). Multiple separate physical copies, and off site via something like crash plan. No repair can fix Physical damage.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
david-bo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
Nice update on Alsoft's/DW fine service. I am of course telling you what you already know, but you got way more then 100 dollars worth of service with them doing the job by hand.

** Many vendors charge $1000s to recover data. Though aloft should fix the limitation and offer an option to run off a USB stick or another drive to get around those limitations, even with a 64 bit version, not everyone has more ram.

Also please do yourself a favor and back up (bootable images e.g. CCC, Superduper). Multiple separate physical copies, and off site via something like crash plan. No repair can fix Physical damage.

Well, if they had released a 33 bit version of Disk Warrior sometime between when Mac OS X become 64 bit (actually 48 IIRC) 2006 and now they wouldn't have needed to work with customers machines manually. But who am I to complain, it is only six+ years since the release of Tiger.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #44
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Customers have a perfect right to complain. And Alsoft/DW could have come up with a two disk solution (caching to a thumb drive or second hard drive) regardless.

I merely pointing out that Alsoft/DW apparently provided very good service to Nabeel.

Your situation was complicated by the fact that you were depending on TM and I believe sparse bundles (TM over wireless). Sparse bundles are not a good idea, I wish Apple would drop them. TM works well locally.

Bootable images e.g. CCC, Superduper). Multiple separate physical copies, and off site via something like crash plan are superior. No repair can fix Physical damage, and are no substitute for multiple back ups, even if DW usually can save the day.

And note too that CCC does offer an option to not trash data until the disk is full.

TM is a reasonable tool for novice as it provides some level of protection where most would have none. Lion and ML also try to provide some assistance with versioning.

Backing up can be a complicated to explain and certainly to implement well requires some strategizing and a multi pronged approach.

Last edited by anthlover; 01-01-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #45
agentx
Hall of Famer

Well i must admit, i have only had memory out error a handful of times and i have used product successfully 1000s of times.

They really need to rewrite it from ground up and Apple should have bought them out years ago to have the proper tools to deal with crappy HFS+ corruption.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #46
anthlover
Hall of Famer

True, but now were kind of heading on tangent the need for a new file system
I was hoping for ZFS. Hopefully some day it or something better.

I got curious and according to this history.. In 2009 DW became 64 Bit and was founded by two former Apple employees
http://www.alsoft.com/about.html

I personally have found no need in that I keep backed up. Of course for those who do not and do not have a physical failure its still the best there is.

Reading over this upgrade list for prior owners are pretty compelling none the less
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/upgrade.html

Last edited by anthlover; 01-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
agentx
Hall of Famer

I have been using zevo (now green bytes) ZFS with full success for about a year.

But fir boot drive still limited to HFS+
Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #48
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Yup

Yeah I think that Developer (worked for Apple on their version that they dropped) sold it Green Bytes though its still free. Apparently there a few flavors of zfs out there with Mac support. Now that Oracle owns sun I would have hoped long ago that zfs would have been officially blessed as it was during snows development.

Sad.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #49
agentx
Hall of Famer

Don't get me started on what Oracle have done......but overall Don who developed ZFS on mac and was the file system engineer for Apple HFS+ has done a good job of porting ZFS. However Apple will NEVER use ZFS natively too much politics with Oracle and Licencing.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #50
dealtek
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-bo
Finally Alsoft got back to me. They simply verified that Disk Warrior can't handle more than ≈ 2.6 GB of memory because its Carbon GUI.

Hi all,

Well I just ran into this same problem at a buddy's house.

He has a newer MBP and an external 2T drive that he does not use for TM but simple puts many small files on for his business. Well we ran into the same MEMORY problem: error 2154.

I had no clue how to get past this until I read the quote above. So I ended up moving a bunch of files to another drive - then deleting those from the 2T until it was smaller - then re-ran DW and finally it worked.

So - I totally second the motion for a DW update to move to 64 bit - and Also to incorporate the following and ask for a Scratch Disk (flash or spinning - local etc.) to write to.

Q: In the case above - it would be quite easy to ZIP folders which could not only save space but would it also create LESS directory items and therefore be easier for disk warrior to run by using less ram? If there are 500 items in a ZIP - does it then count as just 1 directory item (or 500)?

Also interesting to note that as time goes on - drives are getting bigger and bigger and I imagine that this problem could happen more.

Q: As much as I don't like partitions - I image that would cut back on this issue - correct?
dealtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #51
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Think it is 64 bit already

In 2009 DW became 64 Bit

I think we all agree on a scratch disk if ram is insufficient and if is the cause of the issue some are experiencing.

I can not say enough.. that the "real solution" for those informed to keep very backed up. No matter the file system or the OS. Multiple separate drives using CCC or Superduper and offsite with something like crash plan.

As to Zipping. My understanding is that zipped files would be treated as one directory entry.

As to partitioning I would imagine there is a fair correlation between drive size and directory size, but doing that would not preclude the issue. Partitioning also has its down sides in that you have more images to back up and have to deal with running out of space.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #52
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
In 2009 DW became 64 Bit

What that document says is that the 2009 version became compatible with 64-bit versions of OS X. It doesn't say that the application itself is 64-bit.

Compatible with 64-bit versions of OS X just means that it will run under those OS versions.
For an application to be 64-bit, it needs to be compiled in 64-bit mode and use 64-bit versions of the software libraries that it depends on.
One of the advantages of a 64-bit application is that it can address (allocate/use) more than 4 GB of memory.

The command-line utility 'file' can be used to see if an application is 64-bit.
Here's the results I get on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion - compare the results for DiskWarrior 4.1.1 and Safari 6.02:
Code:
file DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior

DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O executable ppc
DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarrior (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
Code:
file Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #53
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Ty

Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense then why people run into the errors from time to time. Please feel free to edit the thread for accuracy for future readers.

Last edited by anthlover; 01-03-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Tags
disk image, disk warrior, error 2154, out of memory, sparseimage

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: