Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
sliberty
Triple-A Player

Web cams for Mac Mini 2012, Mountain Lion)

There aren't that many webcams that claim Mac support, but what about UVC? Can I just use pretty much any webcam? Do i care if the particular webcam supports a Mac or not?
sliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
deckyon
Prospect

I have a Logitech C920 webcam working on my Mac Mini.

"Mac OSX. Because making UNIX user friendly is easier than fixing Windows."
deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
sliberty
Triple-A Player

Deckyon,

Thanks for responding. I assume that you simply plugged it in and that you didn't load any Logitech drivers, right? Did you load any sort of third party drivers, or are you running it simply with OS X built in capabilities?

How do you use your webcam? FaceTime? Messages? Skype? AIM? Microsoft Lync (a big one for me - we use it at work)?

Are there any advertised features that you can't take advantage of?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
deckyon
Prospect

I am actually using it as a security cam with iCam. It just came right up once I installed the app. I have to be honest, I have not tried it with any other app, but when I was reading reviews of it online, those who did use it for webcam functions said it worked fine.

I actually think Logitech has a cam now that lists Mac under its supported OS's. I never looked further since I have mine working.

the picture from it is very good.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
sliberty
Triple-A Player

There are actually 2 models that are advertised as mac compatible - C615 and C910.

From what I have read, if I am understanding them correctly, the non-Mac cams will generally provide basic functionality without any special drivers at all, and should work with some/most/all generic cam apps. The Mac cams supposedly will require the special drivers, and will provide all of the advertised features of that cam. But my hope is that the "basic" features supported by the OS (UVC) are mainly what I would want/need. The benefit of no drivers is that when the OS progresses to new versions, I don't have to throw away my cam. Logitech has a habit (as they all do to some degree) of abandoning their driver development for any given product after a relatively short time. I have thrown away Logitech scanners and other devices in the past, and I am always pissed about that.

The C920 has better specs than the C910 too.

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
deckyon
Prospect

I love the 902, the picture from it is awesome and it picks up the sound of my furnace coming on.

I just logged on remotely to my machine at home and brought up the Messages App. I can face time with the Logitech 920 with no extra drivers. All I had done was plug in the camera, there was no software installed from Logitech.

I hope that clears up and questions or concerns.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
sliberty
Triple-A Player

Thanks. Yes, it is a good sign. I think I will probably get one of the non-Mac cams and see how it works out. If I buy at best Buy locally, returns will be easy in case I am not happy for some reason.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
deckyon
Prospect

Good luck. The 920 is a great camera, and I got mine at Best Buy. Personally, if you want good quality video and images, it is hard to beat. I know a couple people who use it for doing video podcasts and such.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
sliberty
Triple-A Player

How about the physical characteristics of the C920? I will be perching it on top of my 24" LED monitor. Does it swivel up and down a little for aiming purposes? If I am not mistaken it does not swivel side to side, but that seems OK to me. And how stable is it on a monitor?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
deckyon
Prospect

dont have mine on a monitor. My Mac Mini is connected to my 65" HDTV as a media server. I have the cam on a small tripod. It will swivel and tilt easily and looks like it would be quite stable on a monitor. Besides, there is 2-sided tape or velcro for odd positions.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
sliberty
Triple-A Player

I decided to try the Logitech C920. Picked one up at Best Buy yesterday, and another one today

The first one worked for an hour, and then died. Oh well. The second one is working (for now). It was recognized right off just by plugging it in, and with the help of Webcam Settings (a $7.99 app in the App Store), I can control some of the key parameters. Looks like it will be fine for my needs. Nice camera, and it is working with FaceTime, Messages, iMovie, etc. I'll see next week if it works with Microsoft Lync. This is a big one for me as it is used by the folks at my job, but it loks like Lync knows I have a camera (menus offers Video CHat option), so I think it will be OK.

Thanks to all for suggestions and guidance.

Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
anthlover
Hall of Famer

Nice App it seems. Found this too as a bit of a hardware guide.

http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/index.html
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
benwiggy
League Commissioner

I just bought the Logitech C615. -- It was selling dirt cheap on eBay. Plugs straight in to the USB port on my Cinema Display, and works immediately.
Nice quality image: did some FaceTiming.

The microphone is quite good too. I used ML's Dictation feature, and it handles most normal sentences very well. (It goes a bit mad when you say uncommon things, but that's more Dictation than the mic, I imagine.)
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: