Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
aubreyapple
All Star

What is fpsaud?

I just started getting harassed by fpsaud attempting to contact fpdownload.macromedia.com but being blocked by Little Snitch. Is this legit or is it a virus? The location suggests it is another Adobe phone home thing because it is located here: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager/fpsaud. That said, there have been recent Adobe spoofs too, hence the question. Google search found nothing. The file is dated May 31.
aubreyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Apparently, that's part of the new Flash Player auto-update feature which was introduced with version 11.3. That was released just a couple days ago, so I'm guessing you have updated to that version. From what I've read, the update mechanism checks once a day.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...c/8ahrVMBxoLIJ
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I would say it's (probably) legit.
The latest Flashplayer (11.3) adds silent updates, and I expect that's part of the update process.
Adobe just added that, and silent updates would certainly need to contact the 'home' server, whatever that is. So, you can either allow that in Little Snitch, or go into your System Preferences/Flash Player/Advanced tab, and turn off the automatic updates, if you so choose.

@NaOH - is there supposed to be something legitimate at the Google link you provided? I just get a generic login for Google on that one.

Ah - never mind. the dude (me) just doesn't have a google account, my bad!

Last edited by DeltaMac; 06-10-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added more bad info, eh?
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
aubreyapple
All Star

Ah, thank-you. I think I may just leave it 'denied'... Interesting that fpsaud clearly appears in your reference but Google Search did not find it for me.
aubreyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
chinajon
Triple-A Player

Flash is a ubiquitous plugin that is used by thousands of sites. It is the mechanism by which the Malware was installed into OSX. Users went to a hacked site and were informed that they were using an old version of Flash and should update. They were sent to a fake site which uploaded the malware/hacked Flash.
Adobe has put the auto update into the new Flash to allow people to avoid clicking fake update buttons. I think it would be best to allow the Flash Updater to check for new updates. Adobe should let users of Flash know that they need not update manually any more.
chinajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
chinajon
Triple-A Player

Flash is a ubiquitous plugin that is used by thousands of sites. It is the mechanism by which the Malware was installed into OSX. Users went to a hacked site and were informed that they were using an old version of Flash and should update. They were sent to a fake site which uploaded the malware/hacked Flash.
Adobe has put the auto update into the new Flash to allow people to avoid clicking fake update buttons. I think it would be best to allow the Flash Updater to check for new updates. Adobe should let users of Flash know that they need not update manually any more.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
chinajon
Triple-A Player

fpsaud: Flash Player Secure Automatic Up Date
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
benwiggy
League Commissioner

If you have Flash installed, and you want to get security updates as soon as they happen, then you should ALLOW this.
Getting the latest Flash updates will reduce the risk of malware, as soon as patches are released.

So: "better Flash security" on one side, versus "A program is checking something on the internet without my express permission!" on the other.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
ankh
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy
If you have Flash installed, and you want to get security updates as soon as they happen, then you should ALLOW this.
Getting the latest Flash updates will reduce the risk of malware, as soon as patches are released.

So: "better Flash security" on one side, versus "A program is checking something on the internet without my express permission!" on the other.

Would you still say that today?
And how would you weigh the choice?
ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh
Would you still say that today?
And how would you weigh the choice?

Yes.
Personally, it doesn't bother me one little bit that processes may be checking things across the internet.
I would rather have an up-to-date version of Flash than worry about all the connections that something like LittleSnitch allows you to worry about.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
refinery

the problem im having is that fpsaud is constantly throwing up a connection dialog even though i already have an approved rule for it. I have little snitch set to automatically deny a connection after 30 or 60 seconds or something. soooo... i went on a trip and left my machine on the whole time as it also acts as a fileserver for my home. when i came home, i had 61 denied entries for fpsaud to connect to fpdownload.macromedia.com, all of which are directly underneath the rule set to explicity allow that very connection. fpsaud is the only thing doing this, and it has been going on for a while now.
refinery is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: