Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
honestpuck
Major Leaguer

Apple ID password not working for home sharing

Hi,

I'm using iTunes 10.6.7 on two Macs and iTunes on an iPad.

On the two Macs when I try and turn on Home Sharing I get told that the name and password are incorrect. This is despite being able to use the same Apple ID and password for multiple other things such as iTunes Match and the App Store.

Any thoughts?

// Tony
honestpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The password to turn on your file sharing is your admin password - that same password that is associated with your user account - not your AppleID.
To check that, log out of your user account.
Log back in.
The system will require your password. That's your local admin password.
Your AppleID and its password are used for online support, such as the Mac App Store, iCloud, etc. Your own home file sharing would use your local admin password.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Home Sharing in iTunes is done using an Apple ID and password. This Apple Support document details that. Two things come to mind as potential issues. One is that recent Apple ID passwords require at least one uppercase letter. If that's the case here, is it being used when entering the password? The other is that there may be an issue if iTunes on the computer is already connected to the iTunes Store with a different account. Easiest would be to use the Store menu to select Sign Out, then use the Store menu to select Sign In.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Ah, OK, I don't use that feature of iTunes, so I missed that completely.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestpuck
I'm using iTunes 10.6.7 on two Macs and iTunes on an iPad.

I'd also update those Macs so they're running 10.6.8. From the Apple menu, select Software Update. After doing that, repeat since there may be other updates which won't show until 10.6.8 is installed.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
honestpuck
Major Leaguer

NaOH,

First, nice idea about uppercase but I have used the same password with the same upper and lower case to check into the App Store on both Macs and iOS devices so the password is right. I even went to the troubleof resetting the password on that Apple ID.

I am also using the same Apple ID for the iTunes store and Home Sharing so there should be no confusion there.

Finally, it's the version of iTunes that is 10.6.7 - the latest available - the operating system on all three Macs is 10.7.3. I tried rebooting one of the Macs into 10.7.4 and the problem still occurred.

Any further ideas?

// Tony
Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I'm guessing that the odd number threw NaOH off the track, just for a bit
- Very often, when you correct a correction, it's a reasonable plan to check your facts (especially numbers!)
Current iTunes is still only 10.6.1 - but you knew that

(that's not too rough, is it? I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy... )

Do you use more than one AppleID?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
honestpuck
Major Leaguer

Aaah, my confusion is that it says 10.6.1 (7) in the About box. My poor eyes are partly to blame

I used to have another AppleID but have not used it for quite a while. I'm not even sure of the password for it <g>.

// Tony
Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Yep, I completely misread what honestpuck wrote, so even though the incorrect iTunes version was accidentally listed, that one's on me. Doesn't help that my memory was iTunes being around 10.2 or so. Bad reading plus bad assumptions make for bad suggestions. Sorry about that.

First thing I would do, if you haven't already, is confirm you're going through the exact steps Apple says are necessary for set up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620

Failing that, in iTunes, use the Store menu to select Authorize This Computer. There's a good chance that you don't think there's a need for this, but it's been known to resolve Home Sharing sign-in issues. It's also possible the cause is from issues with Apple ID passwords stored in your Keychain or to your Firewall setting, but this is much easier to first check.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
honestpuck
Major Leaguer

NaOH,

I'm going through those exact steps. I authorized the computer and it said it was already authorized, as I thought it was. I also deleted all the keys in the keychain that had AppleID in their name.

Still no luck.

// Tony
Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Try de-authorizing then re-authorizing the computer. If that fails, I would delete the Apple ID items in the Keychain again, then immediately follow with a restart.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
agentx
Hall of Famer

I think all advice is good.

Personally i would de-authorise all machines then re-authorise.

I tend to setup a separate generic Apple ID with no payment setup ( yourfamilyname@me.com ) for using Home sharing functionality. It means to can easily add other devices without giving away the "master" purchasing ID information.

best of luck.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home sharing, itunes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: