Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Krotsie

How to recover data when hard drive is damaged?

My Macbook hard drive died after dropping. I can see the disk when I boot from DVD but I don't want to format it because i will lose my data files, pictures songs important documents.

What is the best way to recover data? (what hardware and software if any I need). I have other IMac and Windows computers.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
gsahli
MVP

Use a firewire cable (make sure you get one with plugs to match your two Macs), and start your MacBook in Target Mode:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661
gsahli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
C.Puffs
Prospect

If it was mine, I would boot the MacBook into Target disk mode (hold down T when turning power), mount the drive on the iMac via FireWire cable (if you have an Air - use USB) and make a dd image before I tried recovering anything. And when I did go to recover files, I'd do it from the dd image and not the physical drive.

After that you can use OS X disk utils or third party programs to attempt to recovery files without the worry of destroying any data. If none of the cheaper options work, you might try Disk Drill, it does the trick.

Good Luck!
C.Puffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
ricede
All Star

And in future use Time Machine to back up all your files.
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: