Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPad Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
cudaboy_71
All Star

Question new safari tab defaults to search bar

been enjoying my 1st ipad for a week now. still working out the kinks coming from the full macos.

one thing that's starting to get on my nerves is Safari's default new tab behavior. when i click on the new-tab (+), the resulting tab's behavior is to highlight entry to the Google search field rather than the URL field.

i've looked through the settings, and searched the internet for a solution. but, apparently i'm the only one who wants to be able to type in a URL rather than search for one.

any ideas?
cudaboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
chabig
Hall of Famer

I never noticed this, but you're right. I notice that if the cursor is in the address bar, it stays there when you touch the plus sign.
chabig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
cudaboy_71
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig
I never noticed this, but you're right. I notice that if the cursor is in the address bar, it stays there when you touch the plus sign.

I noticed this as well, after some tinkering. still takes two taps on different parts of the screen to get a live URL entry. but, tapping the URL field first, then clicking the (+) does seem to yield a quicker redraw as it doesn't pop up the google search history window first.

still would rather have focus on the URL field than google ANY time i click the (+) though.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

One feature I've seen listed for iOS 6 on the iPad is that this has been changed. Now the cursor goes to the URL field instead of the Search field.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
cudaboy_71
All Star

nice.

i still find it odd that the ipad version differs from the ipod/iphone versions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: