Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
Filesharing, a one-way saga

So I have a 10.6 & a 10.5 box on my LAN.

I have accounts on both. If I connect (⌘-K) from the 10.6 to the 10.5, log in, and try to push a file to my other account, I get:
  1. ...A login/pw demand box.
  2. Then
    Code:
    The operation can't be completed because an item with the name "" already exists.
  3. And if not true, I get the same error anyhow, because it builds a zero-length file of that name, then fails.

I can log into the 10.6 from the 10.5, and pull the files...

This screams to me about a permissions issue, but I've not figured out what's wrong. Suggestions?
rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,428
I think you need to provide more precise details...

None the less are you connecting as Guest, The main Admin account, or a newly created user.... The easiest way to Connect into machine B using Machine B;s credentials from Machine A or vs. versa.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
I am connecting (⌘-K) into my account on machine{10.}5 from machine 6.
[Sidenote: my accounts on both machines have the same username.]

I choose the whole filesystem.

I then can view files on Machine 5. I can copy files from 5->6.
Attempts to copy from 6->5 get the login popup, then failure.
rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,428
What do you mean the "whole file system"? You should see your Volume e.g. Macintosh HD, then open that and then copy or move the files you want.

IS it when you copy say From Users\your user\documents to X location and the file copy starts that you get the error? OR ****

**** From your description is sounds like the issue is happening at the Authentication stage?. Is one system a clone of the other? Perhaps name the systems differently. Under System Prefs, Sharing Computer name.

Last edited by anthlover; 05-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
When you do a mount, the far end asks you which filesystem you want to mount.

On the attached, Crash, Lander, & Sleek_Black_Beauty are external drives on 5. Toowhey, Xavier & crm114 are user accounts.

Xanadu is the internal drive's name.

Both the machine names and filesystem names differ. My account names on 5 & 6 are the same.

As for the play by play:
  1. Go to sidebar, see 5 under "shared", click
  2. See "connected as Guest" & hit "disconnect"
  3. Click "Connect as" Choose Registered User, enter username/pw
  4. See filesystems, choose my account OR drive name.
  5. Push file
  6. Get prompt "type your password to allow Finder to make changes"
  7. Get "A newer item named “fm11-location.rtf” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the older one you’re moving?" & say Yes.
  8. Get 'The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “” already exists.'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mount.pdf (11.8 KB, 70 views)
rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,428
Hmm

One version of OSX 10.5 and 10.6 (which computers)

** Your certainly can boot of the DVD or just do it without and run Disk tools and repair permissions on both systems, can not hurt. You also can do safe boot at both sides.

Not much is coming to mind. Any Idea what “fm11-location.rtf” is. Googled for fun did not find much. I assume if you say no to the replace it still barks at you fails?

You certainly can use Firewire target mode, or a program like crash plan, or folder synchronizer to move files around but I understand the desire to do it via Apple's File Sharing.

Wish something came straight to mind. When did this issue start, last work properly. I have done just what your doing many times on my fathers two systems that are 10.58 and 10.68 without issue, even for volume that are sata arrays.

Last edited by anthlover; 05-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
One version of OSX 10.5 and 10.6 (which computers)

5 is a Macbook, 6 is a MBP

Quote:

** Your certainly can boot of the DVD or just do it without and run Disk tools and repair permissions on both systems, can not hurt.

Have long since one so not from old DVD but current OS installations.

Quote:


Not much is coming to mind. Any Idea what “fm11-location.rtf” is.

just a test file I was using.
Quote:
Googled for fun did not find much. I assume if you say no to the replace it still barks at you fails?

yep
Quote:

You certainly can use Firewire target mode, or a program like crash plan, or folder synchronizer to move files around but I understand the desire to do it via Apple's File Sharing.

Sure there are other approaches but I wish to use what's always worked before.
Quote:

Wish something came straight to mind. When did this issue start, last work properly.

AFAICR, it's not worked on these two machines ever. The MBP was an upgrade & I copied over many files & configs when I got it. (But the Migration Assailant was worthless because I already had created a login on the MBP before I could use it.)

Quote:
I have done just what your doing many times on my fathers two systems that are 10.58 and 10.68 without issue, even for volume that are sata arrays.

rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,428
Ah I have made that mistake with the migration assistant. You can always re-run the OS install or run it manually.

So you do not have the DVD to boot from to run Disk Utility from? You have run permission repair on both machines for fun?

The behavior is definitely strange. I know a virgin install will work (ugg). If permission repair does not help hopefully someone else will chime in.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
Ah I have made that mistake with the migration assistant. You can always re-run the OS install or run it manually.

No thanks; too much invested in everything on the machines to do that.
Quote:

So you do not have the DVD to boot from to run Disk Utility from?

That will use old data to look at a newer installation. Say I have a DVD for 10.5.4; the box is now 10.5.8, etc.
Quote:
You have run permission repair on both machines for fun?

Oh yes.
Quote:

The behavior is definitely strange. I know a virgin install will work (ugg). If permission repair does not help hopefully someone else will chime in.

rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
anthlover
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,428
Using a 10.5x or 10.6x DVD to repair permissions is not an issue.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
rtfm
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover
Using a 10.5x or 10.6x DVD to repair permissions is not an issue.

Well it is on the MP because I tried to play a movie Friday and now that DVD drive won't read anything. (& don't wish to waste time with FW-mounted drives.) I've had nothing but grief from iBook & MB DVD drives.

I believe that Permission Fixing from the current OS is recommended, but can not now recall the cite for that.
rtfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fileshare, permissions

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site design © IDG Consumer & SMB; individuals retain copyright of their postings
but consent to the possible use of their material in other areas of IDG Consumer & SMB.